NextEra Energy Big Data Engineer in Jupiter, Florida
Big Data Engineer
Date:Feb 5, 2020
Primary Location:Jupiter, FL, US, 33478
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 36845
Our reliability is one of the best in the nation, and we’re working to make it even better. We live here too. That’s why we’re committed to making Florida a better place. Join our team today
Position Specific Description At NextEra Energy, we are taking our enterprise data to the next level. We are looking for a Principle Data Engineering Lead to join our growing team of data and analytics team. The hire will be responsible for and supervise a team of developers to create the frameworks and systems to provision data into corporate data lake and enterprise data platform (EDP), building REST/API services, enable business data insights and optimize our data visualization and analytics applications. In this role, the candidate will work primarily with AWS data storage, data store technology stacks and various analytics tool. The ideal candidate is an experienced data engineer, and hands on data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will work in a cutting edge team of data engineers and scientists on data initiatives. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
You will be adding value by hands on as well as supervise a team of developers to design and write scripts and processes that manage the data extraction, transformation, movement, loading, cleansing and updating of data. You will also drive efficiencies by working with application vendors for issue resolution and provides technical leadership to his/her team and customers. You will use your solutions-oriented approach and high work ethic, along with excellent communication and process management skills, to mentor internal customers and teammates on datalake technology and data modeling practices.
- Thorough understanding of Data Lake, Data Storage Architecture & Ecosystem leveraging AWS S3 or Hadoop.
- Assemble and optimize large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into areas related to customer service systems.
- Experience in installing, configuring and maintaining enterprise data environment
- Experience in loading Unstructured/transactional data in data lake
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using NoSQL and SQL AWS ‘big data’ technologies (Dynamo, Kinesis, S3, HIVE/Spark).
- Experience with Batch data loading using Talend, Hive or Spark and Hive
- Experience with real-time data ingestion using Kafka, Spark and Hbase/Mongo DB
- Solid knowledge of Rest Services and experience writing Rest Services
- Good Datalake Administration experience - Access, Service Maintenance, job restarts, migrations etc.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management. (Preferably in Python of Spark). Working knowledge of algorithms for predictive analytics and machine learning.
- Develops and train machine learning models, optimization and other modeling solutions to solve business problems. Job Overview
This position assesses, designs, develops, integrates and troubleshoots technology to support business processes. Employees provide technical or functional guidance to project or work teams, as needed within specific or multiple disciplines. This position is accountable for ensuring the reliability, performance, security, and continuity of IT systems, as well as ensuring that excellent technical support services are provided. Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Analyzes, designs, develops, tests, debugs, implements, maintains, integrates, customizes, and enhances existing or new systems
• Applies appropriate Agile or development methodologies, system development lifecycles, tools, and technology to manage development activities
• Automates the handoff of code releases from development to operations (DevOps)
• Participates in the change management and service ticket management processes including receiving, resolution monitoring, and ensuring customer satisfaction
• Leads projects when needed and builds strong working understanding of the solution being delivered
• Ensures user satisfaction by providing preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and timely resolution of more complex problems
• Designs, develops, and tests experimental application work to test new ideas with bounded cost and time frames
• Ensures that applications processes are conducted in line with corporate social responsibility, security, compliance, environmental, and technical policies and applicable standards and legislation
• Acts as liaison with regulatory agencies, vendors, and contractors on matters relating to computer systems as required
• Defines metrics and monitors Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for systems being developed
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned Required Qualifications
• High School Grad / GED
• Bachelor's or Equivalent Experience
• Experience: 7+ years Preferred Qualifications
• Bachelor's - Information Systems
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Information Technology Organization: Florida Power & Light Company Location: Jupiter, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs