NextEra Energy Tax Attorney in Juno Beach, Florida
Date:Jan 29, 2021
Primary Location:Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company:NextEra Energy is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description We are seeking a Tax Attorney to become a member of our Tax Planning team. Our in-house tax department is a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative environment. The successful candidate will have a background in international tax, partnership tax and/or M&A transactions. Professional Experience
- Strong transactional tax background (focused on acquisitions, dispositions, financings, reorganizations, restructurings, and joint ventures) is preferred but not required, and strong candidates anticipating L.L.M. degrees in Taxation will also be considered.
- Ideal background consists of (i) working with the rules in Subchapter K, Subchapter C, and the consolidated return regulations; (ii) structuring and documenting complex M&A transactions; (iii) preparing tax memoranda, opinions, and ruling requests; (iv) reviewing transaction documents and drafting tax provisions contained therein; (v) developing, reviewing and commenting on the tax aspects of financial models; and (vi) supporting critical business operations and various projects/workstreams.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including the ability to coordinate effectively with various subject matter specialists and proactively support the business.
- Drive value by providing tax support (e.g., due diligence, structuring, and modelling) to deal teams and business units throughout the organization with respect to renewable energy projects and pending acquisitions, dispositions, financings, reorganizations, restructurings, and joint ventures, with the goal of optimizing tax treatment.
- Serve as the U.S. federal income tax lead and be able to coordinate with state income tax and non-income tax SMEs.
- Effectively communicate complex technical tax issues to management and internal stakeholders, including the broader finance business unit.
- Draft and review tax provisions in deal documents.
- Prepare technical tax memoranda.
- Model the cash and U.S. GAAP tax treatment of transactions. Job Overview
Employees in this job drive value by providing support to the organization with respect to the tax aspects of pending acquisitions, dispositions, financings, reorganizations, restructurings, and joint ventures, with a view to optimize taxes. Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Analyze and understand relevant tax laws for tax planning transactions
- Consult tax advisors to understand relevant tax rules and counsel business units and deal teams to understand tax implications
- Prepare or review financial models to illustrate the tax consequences of various alternatives
- Serve as the US federal income tax single point of accountability and identify tax issues to be addressed by applicable subject matter expert
- Draft and review tax provisions in deal documents
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree
- Juris Doctorate
- LLM - Master of Laws
- Experience: 1+ years
- Member in Good Standing of State Bar
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Legal/Regulatory/External Affairs Organization: NextEra Energy Resources, LLC Location: Juno Beach, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs