NextEra Energy Sr Trading Risk Analyst in Juno Beach, Florida
Sr Trading Risk Analyst
Date:Dec 30, 2020
Primary Location:Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 49359
is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description NextEra Energy Marketing (NEM) is one of the nation's leading electricity and natural gas marketers, and a key player in energy markets in the United States and Canada. NEM is responsible for electricity and fuel management for all of NextEra Energy Resources' generation fleet, which includes the largest renewable energy portfolio in North America. NEM provides a wide range of electricity and gas commodity products as well as marketing and trading services to electric and gas utilities, municipalities, cooperatives and other load-serving entities, as well as to owners of electric generation facilities
The analyst will deliver timely and accurate reporting and analysis of exposures, risks, P/L explanation and working capital. He or she will apply advanced analytic & modeling techniques to assist in developing solutions and frameworks for viewing and explaining the risk in the trading portfolio to a variety of constituents, from individual traders to senior executives. Superior candidates will have experience Interfacing with front, middle, and back office to understand and analyze trading activity and how it impacts the broader business.
- Develop a deep understanding of trading business, exposures, strategies and market fundamentals
- Monitor trading portfolios to ensure consistency with planned strategy
- Prepare technical and fundamental analysis of energy markets and portfolio risks
- Work with origination, risk management and trading to define and evaluate risks on potential transactions
- Support month-end and quarter-end close process, in conjunction with the Accounting, to generate timely and accurate results for subsequent consolidation and reporting to senior management
- Support ad hoc reporting requirements and/or special projects, developing and improving upon data visualizations and reports
Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Financial Mathematics, Economics, Actuarial Science or another quantitative field, 5+ years of relevant experience.
Preferred: Master’s in a quantitative field, MBA or financial certification including CFA, ERP, CPA, CERA or FRM
- In-depth knowledge of domestic electricity and natural gas markets
- Knowledge of modelling and valuation of Mark-to-Market and Value-at-Risk
- Physical and financial options valuation experience
- Experience in Risk Management, Accounting or Trading Analytics
- SQL: Oracle, SQL Server or other enterprise RDMS
- Knowledge of SAS, R, Python, Matlab, or @Risk
- Microsoft Office: Advanced Excel, VBA, PowerPoint
- Business Intelligence: Power Pivot, Power BI, SAS Visual Analytics, Tableau, etc.
General Skills / Attributes
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of individuals in a variety of functions (e.g. traders, origination, accounting, management)
- Highly motivated individual who can work long hours when needed
- Must be able to deliver results under tight deadlines
- Good problem-solving abilities
- Must be adaptable to a changing environment
- Must be a good team/individual contributor
- Strong written and verbal communications skills Job Overview
This position is responsible for ensuring the energy marketing functions are operating in a controlled environment and within established risk management limits. Employees in this role review daily trading position exposures, including time and location spreads, cross commodity arbitrage, options and hedging activity against approved limits. This position works with the Front Office and Risk teams to understand new and existing trading strategies for risk review and reporting and ensures correct application of pricing methodologies. Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts daily transaction exposure analysis and review including troubleshooting and investigation of Profit and Loss and Value at Risk movements
- Ensures accuracy of pricing data within the Risk systems on a daily, monthly and quarterly basis
- Performs daily deal verification procedures and independent price verification at regular intervals
- Coordinates with the Systems team to complete new pricing requests and enhance processes and reporting tools
- Communicates price disclosures to appropriate parties
- Completes quarter end and SOX related processes
- Works with origination and other front office groups to interpret valuations, respond to trader requests, and evaluate structured transactions
- Prepares presentations for management to explain and review risks and trading strategies
- Supports medium and long term projects within the group aimed at increasing efficiencies and coverage of the controls
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- High School Grad / GED
- Bachelor’s or Equivalent Experience
- Experience: 5+ years
- Master’s Degree
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Energy Trading Organization: NextEra Energy Marketing, LLC Location: Juno Beach, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs