NextEra Energy Sr Project Manager - E&C in Juno Beach, Florida
Sr Project Manager - E&C
Date:Apr 23, 2018
Primary Location:Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company:NextEra Energy Requisition ID: 23718
is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description NextEra Energy’s Engineering and Construction (E&C) division is seeking anSr Engineering Project Managerfor energy storage. In this position, you will be responsible for managing a project engineering team to support all new energy storage projects for Florida Power & Light (FPL) and NextEra Energy Resources (NEER). Project engineering responsibilities span from initial concept development to construction to final commissioning. A successful candidate will have experience applying value engineering to balance system reliability, cost, and performance, along with thorough knowledge of transmission and substation applications including electrical, structural, civil, and materials engineering. A successful candidate will have outstanding communications skills, along with a record of coordinating project stakeholders and mobilizing teams of engineers to achieve business objectives. A preferred candidate will have experience submitting proposals for major capital projects. The preferred candidate will have experience with system planning and/or grid operations to support strategic project design. Experience working with various US and Canadian ISO’s/TO’s along with understanding of the regulatory processes for utility system is preferred.
Bachelor's Degree in an engineering discipline and an MBA preferred.
Specific activities include, but are not limited to:
- Prioritizing work to ensure the team meets earnings goals
- Managing relationships with internal customers and stakeholders from other business units to ensure project success
- Implementing the project contracting strategy for engineering
- Coordinating personnel, ensuring a diverse and engaged team
- Tracking and reporting on engineering performance through metrics, project schedules, and feedback
Key Characteristics of a Successful Manager – DG Project Engineering:
- Ability to lead a diverse team of remote employees
- Ability to act, think, and solve problems independently
- Strong technical skills
- Strong commercial skills
- Understanding of financial drivers for Energy Storage and the DG market
Development Opportunities for Current Positon Holder:
- Deepen knowledge of DG market including equipment and financial drivers
- Improve knowledge of the project development process
- Tighten task tracking and improve use of tracking systems
- Tighten project tracking through use of schedules and the early-stage PM
- Expand relationships with peers groups within E&C (i.e. utility-scale solar, early-stage, and wind) Job Overview This position is responsible for the overall management of assigned organization and projects, to ensure compliance within required budgetary, scheduling, and safety goals. Employees in this role coordinate and manage construction work performed by contractors and/or vendors at the project site. Successful candidates manage the engineering, procurement and construction oversight-activities necessary to develop, license/permit, erect, start-up, and commence commercial operations.
Job Duties & Responsibilities • Works collaboratively with resources in various disciplines to determine project priorities and work plans • Meets corporate objectives with limited project management, scheduling and estimating resources • Manages department resources to provide effective early-stage project development support • Ensures projects are efficiently, effectively and safely implemented in accordance with department procedures and policies • Manages walk down of planned work, validates acceptance of completed work to design requirements, approves contractor payment requests • Verifies constructability, ensures proper resource allocations, assesses field status and resolves issues as needed • Leads project meetings and reviews budget, risk tracker, and contingency allocations • Interfaces with project's designated management committees, or acts as Executive Director of project activities • Supervises activities and/or coordinates activities or groups, such as safety programs, engineering, construction, budget, and analysis and contract administration • Oversees commissioning activities to meet corporate objectives, with limited project management, scheduling and estimating resources • Performs other job-related duties as assigned Required Qualifications • Bachelor's or Equivalent Experience • Experience:8+ years • Supervisor/Management Experience:2+ years Preferred Qualifications • None
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Maintenance/Construction Organization: NextEra Energy Resources, LLC Location: Juno Beach, Florida Other Work Locations: Florida Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748 (Option 1, Press 6) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Nearest Major Market:Palm Beach Nearest Secondary Market:Miami Job Segment:Transmission Line Supervisor, Energy