NextEra Energy Principal Engineer - SCADA & Controls in Juno Beach, Florida
Principal Engineer - SCADA & Controls
Date: Jan 24, 2023
Location(s): Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company: NextEra Energy
Requisition ID: 69753
is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun, and a world leader in battery storage. We provide energy-related products and services that grow our economy, protect the environment, support our communities and help customers meet their energy needs. We are leading the decarbonization of the U.S. economy with our goal to reach Real Zero carbon emissions from our operations by 2045 while improving customer affordability and reliability. Are you interested in creating a cleaner environment for future generations? Join our world-class, innovative team today.
Position Specific Description
Our Engineering & Construction Business Unit is looking for a Principal Engineer – SCADA & Controls to join their team in Juno Beach, FL. Employees in this role have the responsibility of organizing, designing, and executing SCADA and Controls systems for large energy storage projects. The SCADA and Controls Engineer will be able to develop controls logic, implement complex programs, oversee equipment installation, create protocols for site verification, testing, troubleshooting, and certifying all SCADA and controls project requirements are met.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Oversee development and implementation of all SCADA and controls project requirements
• Understand power purchase agreements, ISO business practices and tariffs and extract relevant data to design SCADA and controls systems to comply with all project deliverables
• Work with cross functional teams and support as SCADA and controls SME for both internal and external customers
• Collaborate with IT group to ensure specified equipment and network requirements meet both project and company requirements
• Implement logic based on battery operating limits such as DCL, CCL and other required supplier protections
• Responsible for designing logic to ensure plant operation achieves MWh requirement at POI while not exceeding operational limitations of inverters or batteries
• Understand data logging requirements and various historian platforms
• Responsible for managing SCADA and controls consultant firms supporting projects
• Responsible for investigating, and managing, all technical issues that may arise during controls integration checkout for the BESS lineups, as well as overall plant SCADA control
• Responsible for coordination of multiple suppliers and onsite support to ensure successful project execution
• Responsible for accurate account of SCADA implementation punch-list items that may result from SCADA & controls commissioning and testing and tracking all punch-lists to closure.
• Support commissioning team during plant turnover
Preferred Work Experience:
• An SME in the Solar and/or Bulk Energy Storage Industry, with established expertise in SCADA and PLC controls, SCADA programming and renewable energy commissioning
• Demonstrates proficiency and working knowledge of SCADA and controls system
• Demonstrates excellent communication, time management, interpersonal and organizational skills
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines by setting priorities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience with Microsoft Software Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and additional software knowledge depending on specialization
• 5+ years of proven SCADA/Controls engineering experience
THIS IS NOT A REMOTE POSITION
Employees in this role make decisions and recommendations having significant impact on extensive engineering and related activities for the company. This position negotiates critical and controversial issues with top level engineers and officers of other organizations and companies.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive engineering programs and activities
Manages one or more programs of complex diversity and scope which are of critical importance to overall company objectives
Acts as a subject matter expert
Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Bachelor’s - Engineering
Experience: 7+ years
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Engineering
Organization: NextEra Energy Resources, LLC
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy and provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies . Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs