NextEra Energy Principal Engineer -SCADA & Control in Juno Beach, Florida
Principal Engineer -SCADA & Control
Date: Sep 14, 2021
Primary Location: Juno Beach, FL, US, 33408
Company: NextEra Energy
Requisition ID: 56610
is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida. We own two electric companies in Florida: Florida Power & Light Company, which serves more than five million customer accounts in Florida and is the largest rate-regulated electric utility in the United States; and Gulf Power Company, which serves more than 460,000 customers in eight counties throughout Northwest Florida.
Our Engineering & Construction Division is seeking a Principal Engineer – SCADA & Control to join their team in Juno Beach, FL.
Employees in this role have the responsibility of organizing, designing, and executing SCADA and Control systems for large Energy Storage projects. The SCADA and Control Engineer will be able to develop control logic, implement complex programs, oversee equipment installation, create protocols for site verification, testing, troubleshooting, and certifying that all SCADA and control project requirements are met.
Day to day activities as the Principal Engineer include:
• Oversee development and implementation of all SCADA and Control project requirements
• Understand power purchase agreements, ISO business practices and tariffs, and extract relevant data to design SCADA and Control systems to comply with all project deliverables
• Work with cross functional teams and support as SCADA and Control SME for both internal and external customers
• Collaborate with IT group to ensure specified equipment and network requirements meet both project and company requirements
• Implement logic based on battery operating limits such as DCL, CCL and other required supplier protections
• Responsible for designing logic to ensure plant operation achieves MWh requirement at POI while not exceeding operational limitations of inverters or batteries
• Understand data logging requirements and various historian platforms
• Responsible for managing SCADA and Control consultant firms supporting projects
• Responsible for investigating and managing all technical issues that may arise during controls integration checkout for the BESS lineups, as well as overall plant SCADA control
• Responsible for coordination of multiple suppliers and onsite support to ensure successful project execution
• Responsible for accurate account of SCADA implementation punch-list items that may result from SCADA & Control commissioning, testing and tracking all punch-lists to closure.
• Support commissioning team during plant turnover
An SME in the Solar and/or Bulk Energy Storage Industry, with established expertise in SCADA and PLC Control, SCADA programming and renewable energy commissioning demonstrating proficiency and working knowledge of SCADA and Control system.
Employees in this role make decisions and recommendations having significant impact on extensive engineering and related activities for the company. This position negotiates critical and controversial issues with top level engineers and officers of other organizations and companies.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive engineering programs and activities
Manages one or more programs of complex diversity and scope which are of critical importance to overall company objectives
Acts as a subject matter expert
Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Bachelor’s - Engineering
Experience: 7+ years
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Engineering
Organization: NextEra Energy Resources, LLC
Location: Juno Beach, Florida
Other Work Locations: Florida
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies . Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs