JEA Electric Systems Engineer - Water/Wastewater Systems in Jacksonville, Florida
Applies broad knowledge of principles in a specific area. Independently evaluates, selects and adapts standard techniques, procedures and criteria. Acquires general knowledge of principles and practices of related fields, able to function on multi-discipline teams. Capable of planning and leading a major project or working on several projects of moderate scope. Responsibilities include planning and designing complete projects, systems, components or processes. Able to plan, design and conduct experiments, analysis and interpret results. Receives limited supervision on assignments, may receive guidance when necessary or when using modified techniques or unconventional approaches. Responsible to assign and direct work of others as assigned and coordinate work with other internal and external stakeholders as required. Prepares for the manager project scopes, schedules, budgets, assignments and communications regarding specific assignments and projects.
- Lead design & development projects as assigned anywhere within the electric system. This includes all aspects ranging from researching capacity requirements, planning, design, standards development, cost estimating and scope development under the direction and review of a manager or designee.
- Responsible for providing engineering, operational and troubleshooting support to electric systems operating staff. Includes monitoring and improving system performance, modifying procedures, providing technical advice or training, investigating system failures, and participating in process improvement opportunities under the direction and review of a manager or designee.
- Develops, implements and monitors engineering applications, tools, processes and services used to plan, maintain, troubleshoot, operate and improve the electrical system.
- Defines, studies, analyzes, and maintains transmission, distribution and generation models.
- Schedules, plans, studies, tests and coordinates forecasting models in support of the electrical system.
- Provide project management in the construction, removal, modification or refurbishment of complex system projects within the electric system. This includes scope, resource and budget development, vendor selection and resource procurement, permitting, project coordination, site inspections, and testing under the direction and review of a manager or designee.
- May include the coordinating, scheduling and directing internal or external technical and construction resources required for the project.
- During emergency system recovery events may dispatch plant or field crews and troubleshooters engaged in the construction, maintenance and emergency restoration of electric distribution facilities and customers' service facilities.
- May be required to sign and seal system drawings, specifications and reports. (Depending if a role requiring P.E.)
- Prepare requests for proposal (RFP's), reviewing responses and making bid award recommendation based on JEA procurement guidelines and policy.
- Oversee complex field inspections including testing. Responsible to document and report non- conformance with design plans and specifications.
- Coordinate with other internal and external stakeholders as required regarding engineering requirements and utility projects.
- Preparation of technical, financial or process analysis related reports.
- Preparation of written and verbal project status reports to include scheduling and financial performance details.
- Use complex computer simulation software and interpret results.
- May update computer models and related databases, both locally on JEA systems and on external systems.
- Works with the interpretation and application of NERC standards in all phases of the electric system.
- Train and mentor others in engineering, project management or other related aspects of the functional area.
- Determines need, size, location and timing of generation, transmission, substation, and distribution system development, to balance economic, environmental, social and regulatory constraints and meet reliability and planning criteria requirements.
- Performs other job-related work as assigned
Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (EAC/ABET) plus a minimum of five (5) years of engineering work experience within Water/Wastwater speciality area.
Master of Science degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering plus at least four (4) years of engineering work experience within the Water/Wastewater speciality area.
A valid driver's license is required prior to employment and must be maintained during employment
Except for promotions of regular JEA employees into this position, applicants must provide proof of passing the EIT or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam developed by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) prior to employment. Proof of a Professional Engineer (PE) license issued by a State Board of Professional Engineers can be substituted for the EIT or FE requirement.
All regular employees of JEA promoted into this classification after August 1, 2015 will be required to provide proof of passing the EIT or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam issued by the Florida Board of Professional Engineers. Proof of a Professional Engineer (PE) license issued by the Florida Board of Professional Engineers can be substituted for the EIT or FE requirement. This requirement does not apply to JEA employees hired or promoted into this classification prior to August 1, 2015.
Title: Electric Systems Engineer - Water/Wastewater Systems
Requisition ID: 11721