NextEra Energy Sr Environmental Services Project Manager - Central Region in Houston, Texas
Sr Environmental Services Project Manager - Central Region
Date: May 23, 2023
Location(s): Houston, TX, US, 77002Austin, TX, US, 78701Beaver Creek, MN, US, 56116Ruthton, MN, US, 56170
Company: NextEra Energy
Requisition ID: 72450
is the world's largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun, and a world leader in battery storage. We provide energy-related products and services that grow our economy, protect the environment, support our communities and help customers meet their energy needs. We are leading the decarbonization of the U.S. economy with our goal to reach Real Zero carbon emissions from our operations by 2045 while improving customer affordability and reliability. Are you interested in creating a cleaner environment for future generations? Join our world-class, innovative team today.
Position Specific Description
A person in this position will
• Report to the Environmental Permitting Section of the Corporate Environmental Services Department.
• Primarily support new corporate development opportunities, with focus on clean hydrogen projects, but may include renewable energy facilities and transmission, as well as mergers and acquisitions for NextEra Energy Resources and other NextEra Energy affiliates.
• Support and lead a small team of specialists in the Central Region (TX, OK, KS, NE, SD, ND, MN, IA).
• Obtain approvals (permits, licenses, certificates, etc.) from federal, state, provincial, regional, and local agencies.
• Serve as the subject matter expert providing specialized expertise and technical support to ensure compliance with environmental laws, regulations, and permit conditions.
• Demonstrate strong experience in project management with ability to lead projects and consultants with limited direction, leadership, permitting of clean hydrogen facilities (e.g., NEPA, air, water, waste, utility siting, endangered species, waters of the U.S.), risk diligence and mitigation, and communication.
• Support multiple projects with multifaceted environmental and regulatory issues.
• Assist in comprehensive environmental due diligence reviews.
• Maintain current knowledge of pertinent national, state, local, and company level environmental policies and regulations.
• Effectively interface with internal and external customers, subject matter experts, regulatory agencies, and other stakeholders.
• Assist in resolving complex environmental matters.
• Travel as required to support corporate development, and regional and departmental functions.
• Preferably work from NextEra’s Houston, TX office (remote, regionally appropriate locations may be considered).
Primary (Essential) Job Functions
• Manage a team of professionals responsible for environmental due diligence, siting, and permitting of hydrogen projects
• Strategic management, oversight, and knowledge of aquatic, biological, and cultural resource consultants, studies, and technical reports
• Provide guidance on alternatives to minimize environmental impacts
• Provide specialized expertise to ensure cost effective environmental solutions that maximize operational flexibility, maximize environmental benefits for costs incurred, and contribute to improved system reliability and customer satisfaction
• Project planning, budgeting, and schedule management
• Assess and communicate environmental risk
• Translate regulatory authorities into actionable tasks
• Negotiate with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies
• Develop and manage vendor contracts / purchase orders / invoices
• Communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
• Assist with development of strategy and communicate environmental requirements to management
• Review, monitor, and comment on emerging environmental legislation and regulations
• Travel and work extended hour, when applicable
• Other job-related duties as assigned
Position is eligible for an annual incentive bonus
This job is responsible for obtaining approvals, licenses and permits for construction and operation of new and existing company facilities from federal, state, provincial, regional and local agencies. Employees in this job serves as the subject matter expert providing specialized environmental expertise and environmental technical support to ensure compliance with environmental laws, regulations and permits.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Performs comprehensive environmental due diligence reviews, assists with facility compliance audits, and conducts environmental licensing and permitting activities
• Provides specialized expertise to ensure cost effective environmental solutions that maximize operational flexibility, maximize environmental benefits for costs incurred, and contribute to improved system reliability and customer satisfaction
• Translates regulations and permits into actionable construction compliance tasks
• Obtains permit modifications for existing permits and obtains new permits for construction and maintenance activities
• Provides guidance on alternatives to minimize environmental impacts
• Identifies, tracks, and analyzes environmental construction compliance performance metrics
• Reviews, monitors and comments on emerging legislation and regulations that might have an impact on operations compiles input and data to develop company policy and comments and positions presented to regulators
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
• Bachelor's Degree
• Experience:15+ years
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Environmental/Chemistry/Rad Protection
Organization: NextEra Project Mgmt
Relocation Provided: No
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies . Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs