AES Senior Transmission Planner - ERCOT in Houston, Texas
At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
AES Clean Energy is recruiting for the position of Senior Transmission Planner within the Transmission Strategy department. The Transmission Strategy department is responsible for performing transmission system analysis to steer AES Clean Energy greenfield prospecting efforts and support the interconnection for our large utility-scale project portfolio. This is an outstanding opportunity for individual who is passionate about renewable energy and seeking high-growth work environment. The Transmission Strategy department actively tracks and analyzes transmission systems not just as they exist today, but how they will exist in the future. The department is instrumental in the strategic siting efforts of the entire development platform. The position will be responsible to set up and run a variety of innovative, automated power flow studies using power flow and coding software.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will both lead and support as needed by internal team members leading to the successful execution of both new and acquired projects across the ERCOT region. Some travel will be required (10%).
• Serves as a technical Subject Matter Expert for the ERCOT region.
• Makes independent decisions except in instances of unusually complex scenarios.
• Analyze transmission grid to identify new opportunities for interconnecting renewable energy projects (i.e. solar, storage, wind, hydrogen).
• Spearhead power flow analysis such as First Contingency Incremental Transfer Capability (FCITC), injection analysis, replicating key market and region deliverability studies using (TARA, PSSE).
• Ability to set up and conduct automated power flow analysis using Python, or other scripting languages to expedite the analysis process.
• Actively track and participate in regions Transmission Planning Process, and advocate for AES clean energy portfolio to be included in Long Term Planning process.
• Obtain, update, and maintain regional power flow base cases with changes in resource mix and transmission topology based on ERCOT regional plans.
• Perform network upgrade cost estimate allocation for the proposed projects, based upon applicable tariff.
• Verify and challenge study results. Perform multiple scenario sensitivity analysis based on future queue projections and retirements. Formulate conclusions and recommendations, prepare reports and presentations.
• Perform study review and provide technical insight and decision on acquisition generator projects.
• Understand and gain proficiency in Transmission Providers’ tariff, business practices, interconnection standards, interconnection study practices, cost allocation methodologies, transmission planning standards, and transmission system performance evaluation criteria. Possess an understanding of regional transmission plans and operational practices.
• BS in Electrical Engineering or related field.
• 5 years of working experience in renewable or traditional energy development, or transmission planning with an emphasis on generator interconnection studies.
• Proficiency in power flow software (TARA, PSS/E, PSS/MUST, PSLF).
• Ability to automate generator interconnection studies on an interconnection wide basis.
• Extensive knowledge of ERCOT Transmission Planning Process and Generator Interconnection study methodology.
Desired Skills and Expertise:
• MS in Electrical Engineering or related field.
• Knowledge of production cost modeling study, especially basis and curtailment is preferred.
• Knowledge of any other ISO in US market.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and lead several projects simultaneously to meet project schedules.
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Safety comes first at AES. To protect the health and safety of our people, customers, communities and partners, and to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, AES requires all newly-hired people or current AES people applying for U.S.-based role(s), to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their date of hire. Except where prohibited by law or not specifically covered in a collective bargaining agreement, new hires and transfers will be required to provide proof of vaccination during onboarding and periodically thereafter. This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities, as applicable.
Accelerating the future of energy, together
Our people are our energy and have transformed AES into the type of energy company that the world needs today and in the future. Coming from all walks of life, our people share a passion for improving lives by advancing the energy sector through innovation, collaboration and action.
We are working in an industry that requires new thinking and ways of working together to create solutions that are both economically and environmentally viable, not just one or the other.
We are looking for passionate people to join us in our mission to accelerate the future of energy.
Are you ready to join us? www.aes.com/careers