Eversource Energy Principal Engineer Transmission System Planning (Hybrid) in Hartford, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
This is a hybrid role. The first three months are fulltime in the office.
The electric power system is undergoing a historictransformation.Driven by state and federal energy policies, coupled with changing economics and capabilities of emerging technologies, the Transmission System Planning department plays a pivotal role in enabling thistransformation.
The Principal Engineer-Transmission Planning will conduct detailed technical modeling and analysis, perform as project leader, and carry out assignments requiring mastery of the following subject matter. The Principal Engineer must have extensive experience with modeling and planning the bulk electric power system, exhibit strong technical skills to apply to long-range load forecasting, testing and planning, and leverage company and industry data to anticipate optimal design for infrastructure improvements such as AC transmission lines, battery storage, FACTS devices, Inverter-Based Resources (IBR), etc. Studies will be conducted in adherence to criteria from Eversource, ISO-New England, Northeast Power Coordination Council (NPCC), and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC).
*Essential Functions: *
- Lead, perform reliability and/or strategic scenario-based planning driven studies variety of existing and forecast system conditions. These studies include voltage, thermal, PV, transfer limit, short circuit, electromagnetic transient and stability assessments.
- Use technical experience to contribute sound engineering input to develop robust, reliable, low-cost solutions.
- Exchange results but also conduct critical review of data and assumptions from regional and industry stakeholders.
- Interface with ISO-New England, area transmission owners, and Eversource departments, such as: UG and OH engineering, Substation Technical, Distributed Energy Resource (DER), Operations, and other departments to understand and mitigate electric system needs, challenges, and enable reliable future growth.
- Document and communicate results and recommendations as appropriate including data manipulation, report writing, and summary presentations.
- Collaborate with cross-functional groups to develop long-range planning criteria for integrating and enabling new technologies, including but not limited to photovoltaic solar (PV), electric vehicles (EV), and battery storage.
Other supporting tasks include:
- Actively represent Eversource on regional, national, and international committees and working groups such as NATF, IEEE, state public utility commissions
- Demonstrate self-sufficiency and support Eversource team by demonstrating accountability, consistency, and cooperation with all departments.
- Mentor and provide and technical training to other engineers.
- Perform an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical theory as applied to planning an electric power supply system.
- Detailed knowledge and experience producing results and conclusions using power system modeling and simulation software for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and electromagnetic transients.
- Advanced technical understanding of HVDC and inverter-based resource parameters and modeling, including extensive simulation experience in weak grid systems.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Essential Software Proficiency includes PSSE, PSCAD, Microsoft Office 365; Word, Excel, Visio, SharePoint, OneDrive. Programming experience highly desirable: Python, VBA. Simulation software highly desirable: ASPEN Oneliner, EMTP (ATP), TARA, PI Processbook.
- Experience required applying NERC TPL, NPCC, and ISO-NE planning procedures.
- Follows Eversource’s Codes of Conduct, Business Ethics, Environmental and Diversity Policies.
- Master’s degree in engineering or science field required.
- Ph.D. degree in engineering preferred.
- Minimum of ten years specialized experience in transmission planning, software simulations, and IBR modeling
- Licenses & Certifications: PE License preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
- Eversource offers a competitive total rewards program. The annual salary range for this position is $138,370.00 to $153,740.00 plus incentive. Salary is commensurate with your experience. Check out the career site for an overview of benefits.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs