Eversource Energy Lead Engineer System Planning in Hartford, Connecticut
Job Description Summary:
Role and Scope of Position:
The Lead Engineer in System Planning provides focused subject matter expertise and oversight of power system studies and system solutions development by coordinating team assignments associated with the modeling and analysis of Eversource’s electric transmission system. The role requires extensive experience associated with the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of transmission lines, substation facilities, and other applicable assets or resources comprising of New England’s electric power system. Typical reliability studies include analyses of power flow, transient stability, and short circuit. The position assists in leading the development and improvements of standard procedures or processes, methodologies and any other necessary documentation supporting the studies and any resulting system improvements. This position entails representing the Company on regional and national transmission committees regarding transmission planning matters for New England Power Pool (NEPOOL), North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC), New England Power Coordination Council (NPCC), and Independent System Operators of New England (ISO-NE) as needed.
2. Essential Functions:
Serve as the System Planning team lead for direct report engineers by ensuring responsible assignments are performed satisfactorily where sound technical mitigation measures or upgrade solutions are recommended.
Leads the development and maintenance of the system power flow model. This includes:
Collection and review of the forecast loads to be included in the model
Collection, modification, and review of a variety of electric system parameters including: equipment ratings, impedances, contingency sets, protection and control parameters, as well as system topology
Leads the Regional needs assessment and analysis of proposed solutions associated with key study areas of the ISO-NE regional system plan. This includes:
Determining transmission system area needs through performing transmission system studies
Verification of technical feasibility or soundness of proposed plans utilizing industry accepted techniques
Developing design solutions and possible alternatives to mitigate identified assessment criteria violations
Interfacing with various ISO-NE staff, line and substation engineering, asset management, siting, environmental and permitting, operations, etc. for the determination of planning needs and proposed plans
Leads the Annual System assessments and develops potential alternatives to reliability objectives by identifying key technical issues and developing proposed and alternative solutions. This includes:
Application of corporate planning standards in conjunction with any other Federal, State or Local regulatory requirements
- Plans, develops and collaborates in the implementation and management of the life cycle planning for transmission assets
Contributes to the development of the Transmission capital budget through development of cost-effective programs and projects to meet customer and system needs
Leads the analysis of system interconnections. This task includes:
Review and provide assessment support for applications in the applicable interconnection queue
Managing the impact analysis of interconnections on the Eversource electric system
Serves as a company expert witness advocating the Company’s position at various regulatory and/or siting proceedings on issues dealing with Company’s plans for Transmission improvements.
Conducts performance evaluations for System Planning staff and creates performances goals, development plans and growth opportunities for all direct reports.
Other supporting tasks include:
Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees.
- Participates with other utilities and the planning staff of the Independent System Operator (ISO) in the preparation of regional transmission expansion studies.
- Coordinates and works in close collaboration with various internal departments such as Engineering, System Operations, Protection & Control, Communications, Project Management, Regulatory Policy, Siting & Outreach, Real Estate, Investment Planning and Finance as well as any other internal or external groups as necessary
- Clearly and effectively communicates the results of analyses and action plans both verbally and in writing
- Trains junior staff in technical analyses and procedures
- Performs an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions
- Five or more years performing Power Systems Engineering and Analysis or as a Power System Planner in an electric utility with Transmission system planning focused experience preferred.
- Effective communication and writing skills with the ability to communicate complicated technical issues in a succinct manner.
- Experience with power system transmission analysis tools such as PSSE, TARA, EMS, ASPEN, PROMOD, PowerWorld, PSCAD or other similar analysis software.
- Ability to interface effectively and collaborate with clients, peers, project personnel, and all levels of management enterprise-wide to develop solutions and ensure stakeholder buy-in.
Strong understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as reliability, load flow, stability, short circuit, voltage regulation, transients, power factor, losses, etc.
Strong technical understanding of the parameters and functions used in the operation of the power delivery system as well as power industry fundamentals, practices, and standards
- Thorough understanding of engineering economics
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related. Advanced Degree in Power Systems Engineering is preferred
Experience: a minimum of8 years of related experience required with 5 years being inPower Systems Analysis or Planning preferred
Licenses & Certifications: Professional Engineer’s License preferred
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs