Pike Corporation Engineer IV- Substation Physical in Fort Mill, South Carolina
This is the fourth level of the Engineering classification. Provide engineering/technical expertise to solve complex problems, and provide leadership skills to manage work in a specific area of expertise, with increased latitude for un-reviewed work. Incumbents are expected to have advanced skills and have the ability to work independently.
Please note: This electrical engineering position is in the Substation Physical Engineering group within the Transmission & Substation division of Pike Engineering. This position will work closely with clients, engineering departments, and CAD Designers in the development of High-voltage Substation Engineering Design packages for electric utility clients. See desired qualifications below.
Duties & ResponsibilitiesWith increased Latitude for Un-reviewed work, in the area of expertise will provide:
• coaches and mentors other Engineering professionals
• reviews work of subordinate Engineering professionals
• engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems
• effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities
• thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches
• continuous improvement of job-related, engineering, technical and professional knowledge, skills and performance
• effective oral and written communication skills
• accurate records and files
• 8 to 12 years experience as a practicing engineer or equivalent.
•State registration as a Professional Engineer.
• Skilled in engineering theories and principles.
• Skilled in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations.
• Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
•Experience in the utility industry.
• Work independently
• Customer Oriented
• Able to manage multiple tasks and provide leadership to other team members
* Desired Qualifications • Skilled in principles of project management*
Skilled in principles of project management
NCEES and ability to become licensed in multiple states preferred.
Experience in the electric utility industry
5 - 10 years of electrical utility substation design experience (as an employee, contractor, or consultant) with a workingknowledge of the physical design of substations 23 kV and higher.
Ability to design the physical layout of the substation equipment (circuit breakers, transformers, disconnect switches, bus, etc.)
Ability to design the cable trench and conduit for the routing of cables to the substation equipment.
Ability to complete the bill of material required for construction of the substation.
Ability to ensure that a complete design package (drawings, bill of materials, conduit lists, construction specifications, etc.) are delivered to the customer within budget and on time.
Working knowledge of NESC and IEEE
Working knowledge and ability to perform:
o Grounding studies.
o Bus calculations.
o Lightning protection studies.
o Substation lighting / illumination studies.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Pike Engineering is an equal opportunity employer
Organization: *Pike Corporation, Inc.
Title: Engineer IV- Substation Physical
Location: South Carolina-Fort Mill
Requisition ID: 200000DS