Sumter Utilities Equipment Operator UG in Entire State, North Carolina
Sumter Utilities, Inc. (a Quanta Services company) seeks Equipment Operators for Underground Distribution construction work.
Successful candidates will possess existing experience as an Operator or long-term experience as a Laborer able to demonstrate readiness to grow into a greater role. Existing experience in underground excavation, boring, drilling and terminating are highly preferred. We are happy to consider those with experience in other underground utility work such as gas, cable, phone, telecom, water & sewer, etc. Preference may also be given to candidates who are able to bring along additional qualified candidates to form entire work crews.
SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE FOR OUR COMPANY so substantial weight will be given in the selection process to candidates demonstrating their shared commitment to safe operations.
We offer competitive wages, paid vacation and holidays, a full benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, Optional Critical Care Insurance, LifeLock Identity Protection and both Company Paid & Supplemental Life Insurance as well. Benefits are available the 1st day of the next month following hire date. We also offer a 401k Retirement Savings Plan with a substantial company match.
After 6 months of employment, employees are eligible to apply for entry into SUI's DOL Certified 4-Year Apprenticeship Program. (Must have a HS Diploma or equivalent and CDL.)
Possession of a valid Class A CDL is HIGHLY PREFERRED. Those hired without a CDL may be required to obtain within 90 days of employment.
Sumter Utilities Inc. is an Equal Opportunity - Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Employer
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
• Work safely while performing new construction, maintenance or repair work of energized and de-energized underground lines.
• PROFICIENT in safe operation of heavy equipment such as backhoes, trenchers, mini-excavators, knuckle cranes, etc.
• Possess professional demeanor and interact in positive way with fellow crew members, general public and customer representatives.
• Possess basic knowledge of proper techniques for pulling in UG utility lines.
• Maintains company vehicles, equipment and tools in good working order.
• Possess basic understanding of construction blueprints and how to follow under direction.
• Able to perform rigorous physical labor.
• Possess working knowledge of rigging principles.
• Understand the proper use and maintenance of hand tools.
• Capable of receiving and following directions.
• Able/willing to function within a Team environment and share knowledge with fellow crew members as appropriate.
• Possess a basic knowledge of materials used in UG construction work.
• Understands the basic concepts of equipment set up.
• Capable of working in/around confined spaces.
• Capable of making up and using a hand line.
• Possess knowledge to properly inspect rubber goods, cover and PPE.
• Able/willing to travel long distances on short notice, when required.
• Able/willing to work for extended periods in various locations, when required.
• Able/willing to work Overtime, when required.
The employee is required to sit; frequently climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or maneuver up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or maneuver up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work is primarily performed outdoors so physical exposure to often extreme weather conditions, animals and insects and other outdoor hazards is unavoidable and required.
Job Locations US-NC-Entire State
Job ID 2020-1280
# of Openings 50
Category Entry Level Non-Energized