Eversource Energy Senior Telecommunications Engineer- Fiber Optic Network Design (Hybrid) in East Berlin, Connecticut
This is a hybrid position. The first three months are fulltime in office.
The Senior Engineer is responsible for the Fiber Optic network design, engineering, and execution of projects that provide communication infrastructure and services to the company. Additional responsibilities include generating detailed engineering designs and documentations needed for the installation, configuration, and commissioning of fiber optic as well as Microwave equipment.
- Long-term planning (5-10 yrs.) to support life cycle replacements of CORE Transport and MPLS CORE communication network infrastructure.
- Short term planning for emergent projects, fiber expansion, new fiber routes, diversified fiber routes, network reliability and enhancement.
- Obsolete/End-of-life equipment replacement plans, Network services/circuits needed to support Eversource's incremental growth and changing needs.
- Review project documentation and develop telecom scope of work, create network design and Bill of Materials (BOM), provide the “Issued For Construction” (IFC) design package and review As-Built documents after project completion.
- Plan and develop network communications systems related to Eversource backbone network infrastructure (Transport/Backhaul network) which includes Fiber Optic builds, Fiber Optic splicing, Transport Paths, Fiber rings, Multiplexers, Fiber utilization, RTU Replacements.
- Develop and own telecom engineering projects and lead them from start to completion.
- Work with Project Management to create business justification documents for new projects.
- Work with management for future budget projection and estimation.
- Attend daily meetings with various teams to assist them with any telecom needs.
- Configure OTN and IP network equipment, Multiplexers, Frame relay devices and keep track of regulatory & compliance requirements.
- Participate in site walks with other teams to determine scope of telecom work.
- Coordinate with equipment vendors to finalize product design application, solicit quotes and then place equipment orders.
- Create high level diagrams in MS VISIO for overall project scope.
- Create fiber projects and perform As-Built updates in the GIS tool (OSPInsight).
- Create and Review detailed Substation diagrams (Wiring Diagrams, Cable Schedules) in AutoCAD.
- Engineering Design and Review/Approval for all telecom projects and technical oversight of engineering work being completed by vendors.
- Thorough coordination with Field Operations for equipment installation, troubleshooting, testing, and commissioning as applicable.
- Maintain and update documentation and records associated with the Transport Network Infrastructure.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, Telecommunications/Network Engineering, or associated disciplines from an accredited engineering school.
- Professional Engineering License desirable.
- Master's degree desirable.
- 5-6 years of relevant experience working with fiber Transport/Backhaul network.
- Thorough knowledge of both telecom theory and application in the electric utility industry.
- Experience with telecom systems and requirements including, private radio, private microwave, private fiber optic networks/systems, teleprotection systems, power line carrier or commercial wired & wireless communications services.
- Experience in OPGW and ADSS design considerations and code requirements in and around electric power space as well as associated installation materials and hardware.
- Solid understanding and experience with fiber optic multiplexers, ring insertions, outage management, equipment upgrades and service cutovers.
- Working knowledge of SONET and TDM systems as well as MPLS, DWDM and Ethernet technologies.
Experience in some or all of the following communications technologies:
Computer network routing and switching (MPLS, IP, UDP).
- Specifying fiber optic equipment required for specific applications, e.g., S-Mode OPGW, ADSS, OM-3 Duct cables, Multiplexers, Patch panels etc.
- Familiarity with Protection and Control schemes.
- Working knowledge of microwave systems implementation including FCC/FAA filings.
- Experience with Construction drawings and As-Built documents.
- Good working knowledge of industry standards, safety standards, and existing electrical design codes including but not limited to electric utility practices, substation materials and equipment.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Eversource offers a competitive total rewards program. The annual salary range for this position starts at $118,690 to $131,880.00, plus incentive. Salary is commensurate with your experience. Check out the career site for an overview of benefits.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Please include a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs