Eversource Energy Senior Engineer, Operations Support (SCADA) in Dorchester, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
This position is responsible for operating support and maintenance of Eversource’s Enterprise Energy Control System (eECS). The eECS is a mission-critical system used for monitoring and controlling the transmission and distribution electric power system. Support will include using data engineering tools to update and maintain complex real-time databases in support of system monitoring, operation and control and to model and diagnose data quality issues impacting SCADA and EMS applications. Responsibilities include responding to day-to-day needs of control room staff and other end users to conduct studies using the full range eECS application. Critical part of the responsibilities includes diagnosing and debugging applications and database models to maintain high system availability.
- Plan, develop, coordinate, implement, test, maintain and administer Eversource’sSupervisory Control and Data Acquisition, and Energy Management System (SCADA/EMS) that includes expanding real-time databases, displays, calculations and applications.
- Analyze business and technical related needs and propose suitable solutions.
- Develops and produces reports documenting SCADA/EMS performance.
- Coordinates EMS updates and improvements with EMS support and vendor staff to ensure the functionality and the availability of the EMS is maintained.
- Work with Eversource and external staff, including vendors, neighboring electric distribution companies and transmission owners/operators, and ISO-NE to maintain and troubleshoot the SCADA/EMS system, remote terminal units (RTUs), Inter Control Center Protocol (ICCP) data links and other systems and equipment.
- Actively participate in support and troubleshooting problems in all aspects of the EMS/SCADA system, specifically data acquisition issues: Front-end Communication processor issues, and the protocols used by SCADA to collect data from field (RTUs) and The Inter-Control Center Protocol (ICCP).
- Maintain strong working relationships and works effectively with Eversource’s Engineering, Planning, System Protection, Field Engineering and Communications and other operating personnel in Eversource throughout the various stages of capital projects and initiatives in scheduling and installing updates to the system and providing technical support for operating issues.
- Interact with internal and external field engineering groups resolve issues and perform configuration and commissioning of field equipment.
- Coordinates with ISO-NE and other control centers to exchange electric system model real-time information and resolve operating problems.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance on to new Control Center operations personnel and trainers.
- Develops methods using EMS applications to monitor and report discrepancies between system telemetry and EMS solutions to improve the accuracy of system telemetry.
- Supports Dispatcher’s use of SCADA/EMS applications to evaluate and schedule electric system equipment outages.
- Understands, interprets and applies industry and corporate transmission planning standards and the regulations of federal, state and local authorities.
- Actively update and maintain the annual Load Shed and Voltage Reduction Plans in the SCADA databases.
- Participate in operational and emergency action plans and participate in on-call rotation as required to support operations department and maintain high SCADA/EMS availability.
- Represents Eversource on various ISO-NE Task Forces or Committees as assigned.
- The functions above represent the specific duties performed but do not exclude additional work assignments not listed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and practices related SCADA systems;
- Knowledge of Transmission and Distribution System Operations;
- Advanced skill level in SCADA and advanced applications software;
- Knowledge in SCADA protocols, including, DNP 3.0, L&G 8979, Harris and other protocols used for the collection of transmission and distribution system data.
- Knowledge of the ICCP protocol used in the sharing of data between control centers.
- Skill in reading and interpreting diagrams and prints;
- Skill in analyzing and solving complex problems; Solid troubleshooting and critical thinking skills will be required to support the SCADA/EMS;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with peers, teams, users, managers and vendors;
- Self-motivated and have the desire to stay abreast of latest SCADA/EMS technologies relating to power system operations and control;
- Detailed understanding of NERC reliability and cyber security (CIP) standards;
- Proficiency with Windows operating system and MS Windows applications is required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Science in Power Systems is preferred.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of experience and technical proficiency in supporting SCADA/EMS systems.
- Familiarity with power system components and their SCADA database models; power system modeling and advanced application functions on an Energy Management System is desirable.
Preferred Experience :
- Strong preference with experience in supporting SCADA/EMS systems.
- Specific experience and skills with supporting the GE/ALSTOM e-terra platform components.
- GE/Alstom Habitat and database modeling environment, e-terrasource modeler.
- GE/Alstom e-terrabrowser and WebFG Builder or Substation Display Editor.
- Data Acquisition knowledge and protocols used in SCADA/EMS systems for power system operation and control.
- Must be available to work emergency storm assignments as required.
- Must be available to travel occasionally between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
- It is a requirement that supporting the SCADA/EMS real-time operation could include serving on an on-call rotation during non-business hours.
- Ability to balance competing and high priority work demands.
- This position will require at times to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment and be able to establish and maintain effective working relations with peers, teams, users, managers and vendors.
- Skill in meeting deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and balance competing, and high priority work demands.
Please include a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs