Eversource Energy IT Lead Engineer, Software in Dorchester, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Role and Scope of Position:
IT Lead Systems Engineer within the Electric System Operations SCADA team have a wide range of mission critical support responsibilities requiring a combination of core IT skills and Engineering knowledge. Plans, designs, develops, tests, coordinates, implements and maintains computer business applications and system interfaces including, but not limited to, GE SCADA/EMS/DMS systems, OSIsoft PI System and other SCADA-related real-time subsystems. Provides first-level application support and coordinates with second-level support teams for installation, configuration, maintenance and support of other infrastructure components such as switches/routers, firewalls, etc. as needed. Maintains all SCADA data utilized by clients for monitoring, control and overall operability of the electric grid, thus an understanding of electrical engineering concepts and SCADA data is necessary for this position. Maintains core SCADA database and displays, ICCP data, PI historical data, Mapboard data, configuration of data concentrators, etc.
- Participates in the development, maintenance/support, and enhancement of the SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) business applications such as EMS (Energy Management System) and DMS (Distribution Management System)
- Analyzes business / technical and related issues to formulate and develop or purchase new and/or modified computer applications and systems
- Revises existing applications, systems, and procedures and use appropriate tools to correct deficiencies and maintain more effective data handling, conversion and storage
- Provides technical knowledge, guidance and consultation to IT personnel and Operations business users in the design, development, implementation and support of major SCADA systems.
- Reconciles user requirements with existing and/or projected computer capacity, capabilities and performance
- Prepares documentation and may conduct program tests and correct program errors
- Analyzes system's capabilities to resolve questions of program standards, output requirements, input data acquisition, and programming techniques and controls
- Advises on new technologies and estimate costs associated with data processing programs
- Good understanding of IT real time mission critical environment involving applications such as GE Energy Management Systems (EMS), GE Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), and GE Distribution Management System (DMS)
- Knowledge of EMS/DMS product suite and technology from GE Digital’s Grid Solutions
- Expertise in IT technology areas, such as distributed systems, infrastructure technologies (Windows server 2016/2019, Windows 10 workstation, Active Directory, IT Network/Security, relational databases etc.)
- Relational Databases (MS SQL Server and Oracle), SQL Server Management Studio, SQL Programming
- Knowledge of operating system(s) and relevant software and hardware products, backup and recovery, disaster recovery, performance tuning and capacity planning
- Exceptional analytical skills while working with other Operations and IT departments
- Demonstrate excellent customer focus, team membership skills
- Good oral/written communications skills pertaining to Software Requirements Engineering, Software Design, Implementation and Maintenance
- Proven track record of producing quality products to predetermined standards and specifications plus a desire to learn and apply new skills are required
- Additional Skills not required but considered a plus:
- Understanding of networking concepts such as RS-232 serial, TCP/IP, DNP communications as well as working knowledge of RTU functions and RTU protocols
- Ability to utilize Wireshark for observing communication protocols
- Basic understanding of SCADA one-line diagrams and geospatial electrical networks
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or other technical discipline from an accredited school or related institution
- Advanced Degree in a related field
Minimum of 10 years of related experience
Requires expert or mastery level knowledge of work area, typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience. May have deep knowledge of project management. Advanced knowledge of related disciplines within work area and ability to identify links and potential impact on projects, programs or systems
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Mental Aspects : Leadership Behaviors/Competencies:
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Know the business plan and how your role connects to it
- Identify problems, issues; take responsibility for resolution
- Set high standards for self; deliver quality performance
- Raise ideas for improvement
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Follow through on commitments made to manager, colleagues, and customers.
- Address difficult or controversial issues and encourage others to do the same.
- Have honest dialogue with others
Manage and Develop People
- Set performance goals that align with department and company goals
- Meet regularly with your supervisor/manager to discuss your performance
- Seek opportunities to develop skills and gain knowledge through on the job opportunities, i.e. working on projects, attending meetings, etc.
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Work collaboratively within and across the organization to achieve “One Company” and other goals
- Recognize and address cross functional implications of your work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Incorporate the diverse ideas and perspectives of team, colleagues, and customers in your work
- Proactively seek out opportunities to improve business performance and customer service.
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to support changes in priorities and work processes
Focus on the Customer
- Deliver superior service to our customers, both internal and external, in a reliable, attentive, courteous, quality, proactive and timely manner
Approved By: ________________________________ Date:________________________________
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs