Eversource Energy Field Engineering Supervisor in Dorchester, Massachusetts
Job Description Summary:
This position is responsible for the completion of difficult engineering assignments, and the supervision of subordinate Engineers, Technicians and Inspectors engaged on a large and important engineering project, or on a number of small projects with complex features. This position ensures the efficient installation and testing of all relays, meters, circuit breakers, cable, power transformers, and specialized power system equipment and all of their associated control schemes through routine and special testing and supervision of the appropriate technical personnel. This position also has a major responsibility for the constant operation and maintenance of the Company’s communication infrastructure including microwave, radio and fiber-optic systems. Incumbents provide engineering consulting services to other departments and serve as technical experts in an engineering capacity in the areas of Distribution, Transmission and Sub- Stations. The Field Support Group makes decisions on engineering problems and methods, independently, and serves as the technical authority on the job site. The incumbent represents the organization in resolving important cross-functional questions and in planning and coordinating work across departments.
- Manages, coaches, develops and reviews performance of engineers and other staff.
- Develops new or improved application techniques required to complete a project and, if necessary, may modify or suggest modifications to existing systems or equipment.
- Develops and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of projects and activities and assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests, products or equipment.
- Plans, develops, initiates, coordinates and directs the design/construction of large and important engineering projects or a number of small projects with many complex features.
- Assigns engineers to complex specific aspects of projects and provides technical guidance. Reviews and evaluates the work and performance of subordinate engineers and technicians/inspectors.
- Keeps superiors informed of the status of projects and controls expenditures within budget limitations.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory and Company work rules and procedures. Understands and complies with the labor contract and works to resolve initial grievances. Initiates appropriate disciplinary action when required.
- Communicates with customers and community officials concerning all aspects of utility construction, operations, restoration, maintenance and service delivery.
- Ensures the safety of personnel by taking direct preventive measures, conducting effective monthly safety meetings and ensuring all related standards, rules and laws are understood and followed.
- Ensures that work is performed in accordance with appropriate company standards and work methods including monitoring for a high quality of workmanship. Provides employees feedback and seeks to resolve quality variations.
Identifies, develops and implements work process and practices improvements.
Coordinates the planning and scheduling of work and resources for field operations, restoration and corrective maintenance.
- Directs the work planning process including preparation and prioritization of work plans and schedules, resource and materials requirements and forecasts and coordination with other processes for optimal resource utilization.
Knowledge of utility Transmission and Distribution system design, operations, maintenance, and construction principles and practices, safety standards and business processes. Project and schedule management skills including computerized work and materials management and scheduling tools. Ability to use PC desktop applications (e.g. Microsoft Word and Excel). Working knowledge of labor contracts.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, or related discipline. Five (5) years of experience in transmission, distribution and power systems engineering and supervising employees is preferred.
Must possess a valid Massachusetts Drivers License
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor