DTE Energy Staff Engineer - Environmental - Coal Combustion Residual in Detroit, Michigan
Staff Engineer - Environmental - Coal Combustion Residual-10870
The future is bright at DTE Energy! We are the largest electric and gas utility in Michigan with an aspiration to be the best-operated energy company in North America. We are a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Detroit, Michigan with businesses in 26 different states.
DTE Energy’s utility and non-utility businesses are poised for significant growth. We look forward to working with highly motivated and team-oriented individuals to energize our efforts of growing economically and environmentally.
We care for our employees and prioritize their health and safety first. Recently, DTE Energy has been recognized as an outstanding place to work and has received the following accolades:
· Gallup Great Workplace Award for 5 consecutive years
· 7th on Indeed’s annual “50 Best Places to Work” award
· Metropolitan Detroit’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to work For
· J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Award
· Professional Women’s Magazine/Black EOE Journal “Best of the Best”
· Computerworld’s 100 Best Places to Work in IT
· Best Employers for a Healthy Lifestyle Gold Award
· Detroit Free Press Green Leaders Award
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Plans and conducts work requiring the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts, and practices of engineering and related sciences or disciplines, including practical field experience. Shows working knowledge and application of regulatory/policy scientific and/or engineering skills associated with the Federal Coal Combustion Residual (CCR) rule and State Part 115 requirements pertaining to coal ash (CCR). Has demonstrable experience in other regulatory and technical areas (i.e.: remediation, water permitting) necessary to develop strategic direction for CCR projects.
Typical assignments have clear and specified objectives and are in the form of design, problem solving and technical support for company environmental compliance and stewardship. individual works towards independently evaluating, selecting, and applying standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, by using personal judgment when making adaptations and modifications. Occasionally receive instruction on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions.
• Ensures environmental regulatory compliance by monitoring, reporting, developing and implementing procedures and strategies for State and Federal CCR requirements
• Keep up to date on current technology for application of CCR requirements associated with solutions for groundwater and CCR unit closure
• Performs, coordinates and recommends solutions for environmental issues for CCR projects based on investigations, professional judgment, current industry practices and occasional consultation with experienced professionals
• Provides lead role in developing and managing Company’s CCR program, project/field engineering services on various CCR related projects; develops, manages and monitors environmental projects and programs; develops and implements environmental training programs for State and Federal CCR requirements
• Represents the company on environmental issues with regulatory agencies and industry groups
• Reviews and interprets environmental regulations and proposed regulatory changes to assess impact and to ensure compliance
• Works to recommend and implement solutions involving the engineering, design, operation, and maintenance of company assets, seeks guidance as necessary Responds promptly to customer requests, meets commitments and follows up to assure satisfaction
Education and experience requirements can be satisfied through one of the following options:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science in a relevant field or discipline.
and (3) three years of experience in a relevant field
OR a Master's degree in Engineering or Science in a relevant field or discipline and one year of experience in a relevant field.
• Preferred: Experience with Federal Coal Combustion Residual (CCR)
• Computer Skills: Proficiency in computer applications applicable to specific work field/discipline
• Ability to make recommendations based on analysis, trending of data, testing, and investigations.
• Ability to plan, prioritize and manage multiple projects and assignments.
• Communicate environmental issues with the customer and external organizations, create accurate and punctual reports, deliver effective presentations, share information and ideas with other interested parties, and possesses good listening skills.
• Knowledge and application of Engineering and/or scientific principles as it relates to the operation and maintenance of company assets.
• Knowledge of DTE Energy business philosophy; understands the environmental implications of decisions and recommendations; strives to achieve business success goals in balance with environmental protection/stewardship opportunities.
• Leadership skills by exhibiting confidence, inspiring others, influencing decisions and giving appropriate recognition.
• Observes and helps develop safety and security procedures, determines appropriate actions beyond guidelines, reports potentially unsafe conditions and directs appropriate corrective actions.
• Understanding of environmental laws and regulations. Keeps job information current.
• Works well in groups, helps resolve conflicts, facilitates meetings, works well with other departments, is flexible and open minded, focuses team on strategies and goals, promotes mutual respect, keeps workplace clean and safe, supports safety programs, enforces safety laws.
Title: Staff Engineer - Environmental - Coal Combustion Residual
Primary Location: Michigan-Detroit
Requisition ID: 10870