AES Team Lead, Field Services - BESS in Dateland, Arizona
At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
At AES Clean Energy, we’re accelerating the future of energy, together, while transforming customer experience and delivering unique customer products and solutions. Field Services Team Leaders support our expanding teams locally and help grow our portfolio of Energy Storage facilities while connecting the region to the broader Field Services network.
Safety First - Self-starter - Innovative Thinker - Driven by Excellence - Team Player - Accountable
If these characteristics describe you, join our team’s exciting journey!
A day in the life of the Field Services Team Leader will include, but is not limited to:
Lead and support the team of technicians in their assigned location/region in performing preventive & corrective maintenance and supporting ongoing construction activities. Plan, coordinate and manage the safe, efficient, and reliable delivery of field services to AES Clean Energy facilities and assist the Regional Field Services Manager in planning to meet regional maintenance obligations. Work closely with the Regional Manager, Engineering team, and others to remediate site issues and enhance the operating portfolio’s performance. Coordinate and manage contractors engaged to support maintenance activities and ensuring AES Safety procedures are followed.
The successful candidate will have a depth of experience in the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of AC and DC electrical systems of varying types and voltages – experience working with Energy Storage systems, and substations. This position will be based in Lancaster California, with regular regional travel to attend to site and team needs.
· Energy Storage, and Substation operations and maintenance efforts, including advanced troubleshooting, in accordance with applicable safety and environmental obligations – Responsible for the Preventive and Corrective O&M activities assigned to the team.
· Stop unsafe work, report and correct unsafe conditions or hazards – review and submit applicable accident / incident report. Work with and support Regional Safety Committee.
· Working with Regional O&M Manager, provide performance and developmental leadership and feedback to the members of the region’s team (typically 4-10 technicians).
· Find opportunities for continuous improvement of O&M activities to ensure safe, efficient, and reliable delivery of field services.
· Support, or lead as necessary, warranty claims processes with EPC providers and equipment vendors.
· Ensure standard maintenance for vehicles and equipment and assist in addressing repair needs, coordinate usage of shared equipment.
· Schedule and implement site training and qualification efforts.
· Assist in third-party contractor and vendor identification and onboarding– develop work scopes and manage and schedule contractors as needed.
· Establish and maintain an annual on-call schedule and communicate that schedule as needed to internal and external parties; respond to “after-hours” emergency situations as necessary.
· Ensure timely, complete, and high-quality documentation related to O&M activities, including but not limited to service tickets, maintenance reports, switching orders, and safety-related documentation (such as JHAs/JSAs, Safe Work Permits, LOTO, Energized Electrical Work Permits, Excavation Permits, etc.).
· Assist in team adoption of computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
· Work with Engineering to review investigation results and/or recommendations from OEMs and institute plant solutions/modifications, document through change management system.
· Ensure accurate tracking of inventory levels – initiate re-order of consumables and spare parts as needed.
· As needed, participate in the construction/commissioning of the facilities within the region to ensure a high-quality build, successful commissioning, timely project punch list closeout, and smooth transition of responsibility to the Operations team.
· Ensure compliance with all applicable safety and environmental requirements, regional and federal regulations, and company policies.
· Stay abreast of applicable technical & safety standards and share with team.
· Facilitate effective communication for all activities using phone, email, and other business software such as our Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
· Perform/lead other duties and administrative tasks as assigned by Region Manager.
Skills and Qualifications
· Demonstrated ability to lead a team and achieve goals. 1-year minimum, 3 years or more supervisory experience is a plus.
· Knowledgeable in the systems, processes and protocols guiding the operations and maintenance of industrial Energy Storage and electrical systems (OSHA standards, NFPA 70e, NFPA 855 , Lockout/ Tagout/ Grounding, etc.). Operation of SEL relays, Pad Mounted Switch Gear, Re-Closers.
· Appropriate Electrical trade qualification with at least 5-years working on utility scale electrical systems.
· Journeyman or Master Electrician strongly preferred but not required
· Experience working with C&I or utility scale Energy Storage Systems and substations required.
· Experience with utility inverters required.
· Competence with relevant computer systems including but not limited to CMMS, DAS/SCADA, equipment-specific maintenance programs, and Microsoft Office programs.
· Ability to work remotely and use technology to stay connected to the local team, as well as colleagues at administrative offices.
· Ability to lead a team and achieve goals with minimum direct supervision and high degree of self-motivation and reliance.
· High degree of commitment to a quality safety culture and an incident-free work environment.
· NFPA 70E and OSHA 30 Certification strongly preferred.
· Knowledge of 855 strongly preferred.
· College degree in a related field a plus.
· Ability to read and interpret equipment/facility schematics, maintenance instructions, procedures/manuals, process/procedure documents.
· Personal values consistent with those of the AES: Safety First, Highest Standards, and All Together.
· Ability to excel in a collaborative, cross-functional and geographically diverse organization.
· Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
· Positive, professional, and collaborative work ethic.
· Detail oriented, high-energy, adept at problem solving and time management in sometimes high stress situations, highly organized.
· Will be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials, and chemicals.
· Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
· Occasional non-standard work hours as required to maintain necessary plant readiness.
· Working outside in an environmentally exposed environment /or office environment, including high/low ambient temperatures and high/low humidity areas, and possibly working at heights.
· Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
· As necessary, travel regionally in a company provided service vehicle and use regional/national air travel to support company’s Energy Storage Assets
· Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Accelerating the future of energy, together
Our people are our energy and have transformed AES into the type of energy company that the world needs today and in the future. Coming from all walks of life, our people share a passion for improving lives by advancing the energy sector through innovation, collaboration and action.
We are working in an industry that requires new thinking and ways of working together to create solutions that are both economically and environmentally viable, not just one or the other.
We are looking for passionate people to join us in our mission to accelerate the future of energy.
Are you ready to join us? www.aes.com/careers