PG&E Expert Tariff Analyst- Flexible Location within PG&E Territory in Concord, California
Requisition ID # 63782
Job Category : Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Customer Care
Job Location : Concord
In Customer Care we are focused on delivering the desired customer experience for each of our customers. Everything we do starts with the customer and our information about the customer. That information is collected and managed by our Customer Experience Strategy group. Each of our organizations, though completely dependent upon each other, are the experts in their area and will further drive PG&Es alignment around the customer.
The Customer Operations Regulatory Strategy Tariff Interpretation Section is a dynamic group of subject matter experts, providing consulting services to internal lines-of-business (LOBs) on California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) Code and CPUC jurisdictional tariff-related issues. Work includes direct support of enterprise-wide LOBs in the areas of tariff application and interpretation; resolution of complex customer issues and operational and regulatory issues while anticipating the associated enterprise risks and customer impacts. Tariff Interpretation employees provide tariff education and knowledge expertise for PG&E’s customer-contact employees, develop and maintain tariff job aids and reference materials to assist employees in achieving consistent application of the tariffs and first contact resolution. In addition, the team works closely with LOB subject matter experts to identify and execute tariff improvements in support of PG&E overall business strategies.
The Tariff Interpretation Expert utilizes operational experience and knowledge to provide consulting service to internal business clients on tariff related issues to ensure consistent application of tariffs, adherence to existing tariff language, and compliance with regulatory orders/directives. The successful candidate will partner with LOBs and regulatory experts to provide tariff-based solutions in alignment with client business strategies and processes along with supporting identified tariff related trainings. Currently we are looking for expertise in the areas of service planning and new business line extensions. The successful candidate will also bring a high level of technical writing skills and an ability to quickly develop tariff expertise in other related and unrelated areas.
He/She will need to support the drafting of tariff related language for regulatory proceedings, on-line tariff application tools and other initiatives. In addition, the successful candidate will provide management briefings on issues that may have tariff and/or other regulatory impacts and promote LOB ownership and accountability.
This position is headquartered in San Francisco and this location is preferred; however, other work locations throughout PG&E’s service territory may be considered.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related work experience.
• Eight years of experience to include any combination of regulatory, tariffs, service planning, estimating, technical writing experience, preferably in a utility environment.
• Ability to travel occasionally (no more than 15%), to include overnight travel
• MBA, master’s degree in engineering, finance, economics, or related post-graduate degree.
• New business line/construction experience • Service planning • Project Management Certificate.
• Thorough knowledge of tariff book contents and format.
• Understanding of the California state regulatory process and the requirements that govern tariffed operations and services.
• Experience with tariff application and/or interpretation, regulatory processes and procedures.
• Demonstrated success in identifying and resolving issues across functional areas.
• Familiarity with utility assets and expertise.
• Lean Six Sigma training.
• Strong leadership, prioritization and project management skills to achieve results by leading and influencing matrixed teams.
• Advanced knowledge of General Order 96B and the CPUC Rules of Practice and Procedure.
• Problem solving, critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Technical and business writing skills.
• Manage complex tariff issues under broad guidance from the Tariffs Manager, utilizing knowledge of assigned tariffs and of the needs and activities of the customers and external stakeholders most impacted by these tariffs.
• In partnership with internal clients, such as PG&E’s Law and Regulatory Relations Departments, and other California utilities, responds to internal or external questions regarding the appropriate interpretation of the tariffs where such interpretation is not apparent from the plain language of the tariffs.
• Analyzes complex tariff interpretation questions, develop alternative interpretations where appropriate, and provide recommendation to LOB regarding the appropriate interpretation of the tariff. Work with legal and regulatory departments to seek guidance from the CPUC if needed.
• Proactively provides internal tariff training, guidance documents and reference materials to support compliance with tariffs by front-line employees.
• Leads new and innovative tariff projects and initiatives working with Directors and Managers across functions.
• Participates in/support of the handling of client and customer concerns in a timely and thorough manner, in accordance with established regulation, company practice and customer needs.
• Demonstrate and provide expertise in at least one of PG&E’s operating LOB, understanding the tariff impact of internal business decisions and advise on the optimal approach to obtain regulatory approval of tariff revisions.
• Advises Sr. Management on the appropriate response to escalated complaints regarding current tariffs or tariff interpretation, and meet with executives or other representatives from customer organizations as needed to explain complex tariff issues.
• Recommends/develops tariff-based solutions to meet the unique or changing needs of a specific customer or industry.
• Provides proactive, high quality customer service and guidance while resolving complex issues using new and innovative approaches.
• Participates in settlement discussions, mediation, arbitration and other civil or regulatory proceedings as PG&E’s expert witness or lead negotiator.
• Participates in the development/review of company business process changes and initiatives that are expected to have a significant impact on customers or PG&E, utilizing and understanding current and future regulatory and industry priorities and strategies,. Develop business strategies based on customer needs, industry direction and operational needs.
• Participates in customer education efforts including individual meetings, workshops, webinars, presentations and other vehicles for educating customers proactively regarding complex tariff provisions.
• Ensure that assigned internal tariff application guide (TAG) sections and guidance documents are kept current as tariffs change.
• Work with internal clients to identify opportunities to identify and simplify tariff language/structure/presentation.
• Interface with PG&E Regulatory Relations, other California utilities, customers and industry
associations to resolve issues and gain approval of new and/or revised tariffs.
• Respond to complex data requests involving tariffs and communicates with internal clients about CPUC questions and concerns.
• Execute clear handoffs with LOB subject magic experts to ensure implementation and compliance with regulatory directives.
• Develop and presents the Company’s position on tariff issues to senior management.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
- PG&E Jobs