Southern Company Procurement Engineering Supervisor (Plant Farley) in Columbia, Alabama
Procurement Engineering Supervisor (Plant Farley)
It's an exciting time to be part of Southern Nuclear. If a new and significant challenge is what you have been longing for, and if you are energized, positive, committed, and desiring to make a difference, then we are looking for YOU to join our team!
Southern Nuclear Operating Company (SNC), headquartered in Birmingham, AL, operates Southern Company's six nuclear reactors at three locations in Georgia and Alabama: two reactors at Plant Vogtle, near Waynesboro, GA; two reactors at Plant Hatch, near Baxley, GA; and two reactors at Plant Farley, near Dothan, AL. In addition, construction activities are underway for two new reactors at our Plant Vogtle location. It's an exciting time to be part of our growing organization. If a new and significant challenge is what you have been longing for, and if you are energized, positive, committed, and desiring to make a difference, then we are looking for YOU to join our team!
We currently have an opportunity located at Plant Farley Site for a Procurement Engineering Supervisor. This position will function within our Materials Quality Engineering Department.
Posting for FNP Procurement Engineering Supervisor
Job Title: Procurement Engineering Supervisor
Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Company (SNC)
Location: Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Ashford, AL
Summary of Position Duties:
The Procurement Engineering Supervisor reports to the Procurement Engineering Manager in Supply Chain. The Procurement Engineering Supervisor will be responsible for first line supervision of the Procurement Engineering staff located at Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant. This staff provides support to Southern Nuclear Operating Company (SNC) nuclear power plants in the following areas:
Determine and assign the technical and quality requirements associated with parts, materials and services used at nuclear power plants.
Determine the functional classification of components.
Research design documentation as necessary to make determinations.
Resolve supplier exceptions to parts requests and other material issues.
Perform Equivalency Evaluations for replacement parts.
Update plant configuration based on completed evaluations.
Update Supply Chain documentation based on completed evaluations.
This position provides leadership, oversight and first line supervision of the Procurement Engineering Staff. The staff develops technical and quality requirements for materials and services, performs component and spare parts evaluations including safety classifications, resolves Suppler Exception Notices, performs Equivalency Evaluations and provides technical support to warehouse functions.
This position is assigned to the Supply Chain organization at the SNC Corporate Headquarters in Birmingham, AL, but will be filled at Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Ashford, AL.
• Position requires either a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Nuclear, or Instrumentation and Controls discipline highly preferred) from an ABET accredited university.
• PE license is desirable.
• Advanced technical or business degree is beneficial.
• Industrial or Power plant experience (minimum 3 years) required.
• Procurement related engineering experience is highly preferred.
• Supply Chain experience is preferred.
• System Engineer, Operations and/or Maintenance experience is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a highly productive, engaged work force.
• Proven ability to build and maintain a highly effective organization that is aligned to company goals and focus areas, and achieve ambitious performance metrics.
• Ability to solve problems and make sound engineering judgments, based on experience and proper application of industry practices and regulations, in order to provide timely and appropriate resolutions to technical issues that might impact plant operation or safety.
• Ability to build strong working relationships with personnel and leadership in all plant departments.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Strong teamwork skills.
• Strong technical background in engineering support of industrial or power plants design.
• Working knowledge of applicable codes, standards and regulatory requirements related to power industry.
• Basic knowledge of the critical design characteristics of components and parts.
• Basic knowledge of developing and processing Equivalency Evaluations and Supplier Exception Notices (SENs).
• Working knowledge of design basis configuration management.
• Working knowledge of plant licensing documents.
• Excellent computer skills and familiarity with electronic database entry.
• Provides intrusive, daily oversight of staff.
• Acts as the technical conscience for the plant.
• Makes principled, data-based decisions that take critical factors into account.
• Has a questioning attitude and is focused on problem solving.
• Works through conflicts to create win/win situations.
• Works well as a contributing member of a team.
• Holds self and staff accountable for superior results.
• Identifies and implements effective work processes.
• Respects the dignity of every individual and their differing viewpoints.
• Assumes personal responsibility for individual success.
Complies with and promotes Southern Company Values in the workplace:
• Safety First
• Unquestionable Trust
• Superior Performance
• Total Commitment
• Job requires on-call duty support.
• Occasional travel required including travel to other nuclear plants, industry meetings and corporate office.
• The successful candidate must meet SNC background screening and NRC “Fitness for Duty” requirements.
• Availability for unscheduled call outs.
• Ability to work extended hours when necessary.
• During outage and other specific time periods, on shift duty rotations will be required.
Southern Nuclear's top priority is the safety and health of the public, our employees and the environment. We are committed to the safe operation of our nuclear generating facilities with equipment and systems that meet strict Nuclear Regulatory Commission safety and design regulations. Each Southern Nuclear employee is committed to instilling Institute for Nuclear Power Operations' "Principles for a Strong Nuclear Safety Culture" in every aspect of their responsibilities.
With 4.4 million customers and more than 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for energy innovation, excellent customer service, high reliability and retail electric prices that are below the national average. Southern Company and its subsidiaries are leading the nation's nuclear renaissance through the construction of the first new nuclear units to be built in a generation of Americans and are demonstrating their commitment to energy innovation through the development of a state-of-the-art coal gasification plant. Southern Company has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer and listed by DiversityInc as a top company for Blacks. The company received the 2012 Edison Award from the Edison Electric Institute for its leadership in new nuclear development, was named Electric Light & Power magazine's Utility of the Year for 2012 and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at http://www.southerncompany.com/
We offer a competitive compensation package. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-South Alabama-Columbia
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Farley - 7388 North State Hwy 95 (7388COLUMBIA)
7388 North State Hwy 95
Req ID: SNC2005090