Duke Energy SCADA Network Administrator in Charlotte, North Carolina
More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
This role is responsible for enhancing and supporting real-time Critical Infrastructure Networks (CIN) that manage the Piedmont natural gas pipeline systems, including the main Gas Control System, SCADA front ends, Data Historians, and other related systems along with the Liquefied Natural Gas and Compressor Station assets, and the automation and control systems associated with them.
· Support: 325 RTU sites, 260 Pressure Recording Devices and 1300 LVRMR customer locations
· Control systems in 3 three Liquefied Natural Gas Plants with 3BCF storage capacity, and 7 Compressor Stations comprising approximately 70,000 horsepower.
· Monthly throughput of 17,000,000 DT’s ($75 MM in revenue)
Nature and Scope:
The Critical Infrastructure Networks consists of multiple servers running software specifically designed for these applications along with an extensive telecommunication network and components to facilitate transferring pipeline data, LNG plant data, Compressor Station data and remote controls from the 325 RTU sites, 260 Pressure Recording Devices and Daily Meter readings on a daily basis from 1300 LVRMR customer location positioned throughout the company service territory. The Critical Infrastructure Networks is mission critical to the company’s operation as its primary purpose is to ensure adequate supply of gas is provided to all of our customers in a safe and compliant manner and to record, on a daily basis, gas usage by the largest industrial customers (60% of the total throughput is from these customers).
This position requires a thorough understanding of all aspects of pipeline related systems (may include Measurement Systems, Compression and LNG automation and operations) and must be proficient in the operation and maintenance of hardware, software, and electronics as they apply to the equipment and devices that comprise the described systems. The work consists of analysis, design, coding, implementation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of these systems and their external interfaces. The incumbent is involved in all aspects of these systems from system design, project management, implementing system upgrades, establishing and maintaining standards in alliance with company and best practices in the area of administering these systems for security, disaster recovery, updates, testing, routine and preventive maintenance programs, and system support for troubleshooting and resolution on a 24-7 basis.
This position will review the impact and consequences of changes and additions to the existing systems, to ensure that all service level agreements and operational compliance requirements are met. The SCADA Network Administrator may lead and assign work to others while maintaining this critical system 24-7-365.
· If applicable, oversee the operations of the company SCADA and LVRMR Systems along with supporting all interfaces associated with connected electronic field equipment remote workstations, company servers and the mainframe.
· If applicable, configure SCADA and field automation equipment in accordance with company, industry and regulatory standards and/or contractual requirements while meeting customer needs.
· If applicable, oversee the operations of the Compression and LNG HMI and Automation Control Systems along with supporting all interfaces associated with connected electronic field equipment remote workstations, company servers and the mainframe.
· If applicable, configure HMI and field automation equipment in accordance with company, industry and regulatory standards and/or contractual requirements while meeting customer needs
· Provide first level of engineering support for SCADA system operations including design, migration planning, database configuration, data base integrity, network and system security, disaster recovery system functionality, display building, field device protocol testing and maintenance, and GMAS support.
· Work with PNG Management to determine appropriate technical implementation of application requirements.
· Provide data analysis, screen development, backend objects and scripts, data mapping, tag naming, tag aliasing, security, alarming, database updates, point to point checkout and documentation.
· Produce and maintain specification documents, customer change requests, operation, and maintenance manuals.
· Produce written documentation of work product, including design notes, module interface details, data tables, flow charts and user guides.
· Perform appropriate unit test of developed applications.
· Recommend risk mitigations including software and/or network architecture; implement mitigations as requested.
· Prepare summary and detailed reports of findings and associated risk assessments.
· Perform research and maintain knowledge of current and emerging computer security threats.
· Provide technical support to system users – Gas Control, Field Measurement, Engineering, Gas Services, Resource Center Operations, Modeling, Compression, LNG, etc.
· Troubleshoot and keep SCADA systems running at optimum level, maximizing systems uptime.
· Work closely with IT Security Group to stay current on cyber security best practices and work with third party suppliers to develop cyber secure solution for systems.
· Provide expertise to ensure operational needs are met for maintaining the company HMI and automation and control and SCADA/LVRMR applications.
· Develop and maintain documentation such as Test Plans/Procedures, User Manuals, Reference Guides, etc.
· Maintain proficient technical and functional knowledge of the assigned application(s) to provide technical support.
· Maintain working knowledge of the client/server and web environments, the table structures, and relationships, and modifications made to the system. Act as liaison with the functional and technical teams.
· Perform migration of patches, enhancements, and upgrades in the test and production environments.
· Prepare impact analysis, risk assessments for changes to the application(s).
· Recommend and assist in the implementation of improved methods and procedures for application support.
· Enforce and adhere to change control procedures.
· Report problems and enhancement requests to application vendor.
· Assume responsibility for planning, organizing, and controlling the activities related to the support of applications in complex, multi-platform environments.
· Maintain application accessibility, integrity, and recoverability. Resolve performance problems and recover from system outages.
· Monitor system performance and participate in performance tuning activities.
· Assist in managing the technology support needs of various business requirements as they relate to data acquisition and related applications.
· Identify opportunities for applying the SCADA/HMI and automations system capability to add value to the business and operations and further optimize the Pipeline Control System.
· Assist in defining system scope and resource priority levels by working closely with other engineering groups to support operations, projects and business initiatives.
· Understand and apply pertinent compliance requirements for remote pipeline operations.
· Work with team members to provide vision/direction for advancement of SCADA/HMI/ control system capability.
· Operationally implement the Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) portion of Internal Compliance Program (CIP).
· Interpret the requirements of various CIP standards.
· Draft and prepare documents (processes, procedures, policies, etc.) supporting CIP compliance.
· Maintain and manage various programs required to ensure compliance to CIP standards.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in a science or technical field or equivalent combination of education and experience
· 5 years of pipeline operations experience (gas control, field operations, engineering, modeling, etc.)
· Proficiency with current Windows Server and Windows O/S administration
· Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
· Knowledge of fundamentals of networking, good programming practices and testing standards
· Experience with instrumentation and field communications
· Broad knowledge of natural gas regulations and compliance requirements
· Experience operating and maintaining SCADA, HMI, and controls systems. (e.g. Wonderware System Platform™ or Rockwell Automation PLC products)
· 5 or more years or experience with SCADA, controls, instrumentation or related field operations
· Familiarity with system security models, specifically as they apply to security testing and risk analysis
· Development experience with Visual Basic .Net or SQL Server
· Comprehensive knowledge and experience with primary measurement equipment (meters, regulators, transmitters, remote terminal units, etc.)
· Experience designing and developing systems utilizing Wonderware System Platform™ or Rockwell Automation PAC products.
· Sedentary work exerting negligible amount of force frequently or constantly and/or up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, involves sitting most of the time at a computer, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time
· On call availability as required
· Weekend and evening work as required
· Occasional overnight travel for work and training
· Subject to alcohol and drug testing requirements
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)No
Visa Sponsored PositionNo
Posting Expiration Date
Friday, September 21, 2018
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position, you must possess all of the basic/required qualifications.
We are one of the largest electric power holding companies in the United States, supplying and delivering electricity to approximately 7.4 million U.S. customers. We have approximately 52,700 megawatts of electric generating capacity in the Carolinas, the Midwest and Florida – and natural gas distribution services serving more than 1.5 million customers in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and the Carolinas. Our commercial and international businesses own and operate diverse power generation assets in North America and Latin America, including a portfolio of renewable energy assets.
Regardless of your skill set or specific interest, we're looking for the best and brightest talent in the industry. Our people make us great - and we're always looking for more. Find your career path today at Duke Energy, where it's more than a career - it's a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Duke Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the laws set forth in the Department of Labor EEO Poster and Supplement.