Wolf Creek Nuclear Operating Corporation Substation Design Engineer in Burlington, Kansas
JOB TITLE: Substation Design Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Safety and Operations Planning – Topeka General Office, Wichita Service Center
LOCATION: Topeka, KS
Engineer I: $58,400 - $73,000 Engineer II: $71,200 - $89,000 Staff Engineer: $79,600 - $99,500 Sr. Engineer: $80,600 - $107,500
Scheduled Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Other hours as required)
Position Overview: Under the direction of substation management, performs detailed design functions and various technical studies relating to the company’s electrical substation system. Works closely with other Transmission & Substation groups, Electric Distribution Engineering, System Planning, Generation Services, and Marketing in assisting with a wide variety of technical issues. Assists in troubleshooting of substation problems. Initial duties will include familiarization with the engineering documents and drawings.
Summary of Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Perform various technical studies by collecting, analyzing and verifying data using software to ensure reliability and safety.
* Perform detailed design relating to the company’s electric substations to meet safety and reliability standards.
* Specify substation equipment using substation ratings (e.g., bus, ground mat, conduit, switches, power circuit breakers, transformers, relay panels, instrumentation, capacitor banks, reactor banks) to ensure reliability and safety.
* Design substation systems to include groundmat, conduit, foundations, bus, switches, power circuit breakers, and power transformers.
* Develop system one-line diagrams by utilizing relevant information specified by other groups and standards. * Produce detailed substation project scopes and cost estimates to assist in multi-year projects and budget planning by using data from previous projects, bids, and research in order to ensure accuracy and completion of tasks on time and on budget. * Support both operations and construction personnel as needed in troubleshooting, failure analysis, mis-operations, testing assistance, commissioning assistance and other technical duties by analyzing data and providing findings in order to resolve problems (e.g., equipment failures, construction issues, drawings, event reports). * Prepare and study technical drawings and specifications of electrical systems and equipment to ensure that installation and operations conform to requirements (e.g., Company, protection, code). * Create alternative system designs by utilizing engineering principles, knowledge and experience in order to improve system performance. * Direct designers and technicians by reviewing work and monitoring progress in order to ensure compliance with safety and regulations. * Act as a technical resource for internal customers by answering questions and providing information in order to support Company projects. * Visit project sites to collect design information, troubleshoot and ensure project commissioning.
*Education and Experience Requirements: *
Requires a Bachelor's degree in engineering (preferably electrical) from an ABET accredited program. The preferred candidate will have utility experience directly related to electric substation, generation, and transmission line equipment.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required: Successful candidate requires knowledge of basic engineering principles and advanced mathematics. Requires knowledge of and skills in electric power engineering. Requires the ability to learn major systems in a timely fashion. Must be competent in general computer skills with a working knowledge of database, spreadsheet, and word processing applications. Requires knowledge of business environments and understanding of common business procedures. Must exhibit good written and verbal communication skills. ** Scope includes the ability to develop professional work including detail design of various substation related projects. Specific roles include development of bid quality construction packages and scopes of work. Must have knowledge and abilities enabling the application of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks. Limited exercise of judgment is required on details of work and in making preliminary selections and adaptations of engineering alternatives. * *
Licenses, Certification, Bonding and/or Testing Required:
Valid driver's license required. Professional Engineering registration is desirable but not required.**
Conditions will vary from office to field environments. Must be able to work additional hours on short notice. Some travel may be required. Must have satisfactory work record including good attendance.
Evergy has a clear mission – To empower a better future. Evergy chooses to live this mission by valuing People First. We know to accomplish becoming the most innovative and reliable energy company, we need a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. So, our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to celebrating diversity and building a team where everyone – regardless ofrace, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status – has a voice and can bring their best every day. We know that the more diverse and inclusive we are, the better we will be.Evergy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Title: Substation Design Engineer
Requisition ID: SAF001J