National Grid Sr Supervisor, Transmission Line Capital Delivery, (Internal & External) in Buffalo, New York
National Grid is hiring a Senior Supervisor, Transmission Line (Internal & External) for our Capital Delivery department in Buffalo, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are therewhen people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us inan unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy deliverytoday and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The Senior Construction Supervisor, Transmission Line Services (TLS) External & Internal, under the general direction of the Manager or Lead Construction Supervisor, will be responsible for overseeing assigned External contract and/or Internal Local Union 97 construction crews performing both maintenance and construction activities. They coordinate and monitor the daily activities of assigned contractors and/or internal workers to assure high standards of safety, security, work quality and accuracy, environmental compliance, as well as assuring uninterrupted service is delivered to customers in a timely and professional manner consistent with Company and regulatory requirements.
-Coordinate the daily activities of assigned External contractors and/or Internal Local Union 97 line workers/equipment operators performing construction, maintenance and restoration work associated with utility civil and/or electric construction. Work in unison with other nationalgrid departments (Civil/Substations Contracting, Distribution Contracting, local Construction and Operations personnel, Regional and Transmission Control Centers, etc.) to ensure a seamless transition and turnover of work.
- Monitor job progress, document crew activities and prepare reports.
- Assure that high standards of safety, security and environmental compliance are consistently followed at assigned work locations. Perform Compliance Assessments (CAs) and Effective Safety Discussions (ESDs), as well as utilize the Incident Management System (IMS) to document and track Contractor and Internal Crew performance.
- Fully understand the assigned project scope and contract work authorization details. Interface with others on the project to ensure job commitments are delivered on time and within budget.
- Ensure safe and reliable construction and maintenance activities are executed consistent with company objectives and policies, and in full compliance with existing and relevant emerging government codes and regulations.
- Ensure company guidelines and procedures, standards, and environmental and safety regulations are consistently adhered to. Assure compliance to all applicable Federal, state, local and nationalgrid guidelines, laws and regulations. Provide quality assurance that the work being performed is per nationalgrid specifications, standards and applicable contractual documents.
- Work with other supervisors and departments to review bid submittals, contract scope documents, engineering drawings, and technical specifications. Survey site locations for constructability considerations, confirm proper permits and licenses are available prior to work start and attend project meetings as requested.
- Document contract crew activities. Prepare and present periodic oral and written update reports and verify the accuracy of contractor invoicing. This will include ensuring adherence to contract documents to completion and monitoring change orders and justifications/reasoning for such. Report on job progress utilizing a web-based reporting database.
- Adhere to company operating procedures.
- Ensure successful performance of assigned contract crews and help to encourage a "continuous improvement" field work environment within a performance based culture.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
•Excellent teamwork and communication skills. This position will require interface responsibilities with many other internal National Grid departments and business units, including interactions with laborers, line workers, other Supervisors, Managers, Directors and occasional Vice President exposure. Externally, interfacing with the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), New York State Public Service Commission (NYS PSC), the general public and a multitude of contractors who provide continual and ongoing services to us as well as those who are on property for single bid event execution will be required.
Two year technical degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5 years minimum relevant electric construction experience in all aspects of electric utility operations, utility construction operations or similar industry
- Strong knowledge of Federal, State, OSHA, local, company safety and environmental rules and regulations
- Ability to read and interpret job scope of work documents, electrical prints, operating diagrams, technical specifications, schematics, instructional information and contract documents
- Must have thorough understanding of civil & electrical construction principles, equipment, work methods and the hazards associated with this work and the ability to understand how to mitigate those hazards
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of company maintenance practices, safe work practices, tagging rules (Equipment LockOut/TagOut – Clearance and Control)
- Ability to work as a member of a team and to work independently, as necessary, in multiple scenarios, multiple times throughout a workday
- Must be self-motivated and have strong time management and record keeping skills
- Field experience with switching and tagging
- Ability to develop, administer and enforce a strong Safety culture
- Hands-on experience with completion of challenging field construction work
- Maintain a non-restricted driver's license
- Able to travel throughout the New York service territory (Niagara Mohawk footprint of Upstate NY) as well as our New England service territory in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island & Vermont, as necessary to support the work and emergency restorations. Must be able and willing to work extended hours when required for project completion and to oversee contractors and for system emergencies (up to 18 hour days, on occasion).
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and acrossbands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring
and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers againstthe minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.