National Grid Tax Manager - National Grid Renewables in Brooklyn, New York
National Grid is hiring a Tax Manager, Renewables for our US Tax team in Brooklyn, NY
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
This role will oversee US income tax accounting, internal tax reporting, and delivery of tax compliance for National Grid Renewables (including joint venture and partnership activity within the Emerald Energy Venture and Jade Wind entity structures and future operating entities). This role will participate in all transactions including tax equity deals, project purchases, project divestitures and project incubation, in support of National Grid’s Tax Strategy and Planning team. While this role reports to National Grid’s centralized tax function, it will work hand-in-hand with the Controller of National Grid Renewable’s in managing the tax books and records with full oversight for the completeness, accuracy, and reconciliation of all tax accounts. In addition, this role will be responsible for coordinating all tax activity with the procedures established by National Grid’s centralized tax function as well as the facilitation of all tax deliverables.
On behalf of National Grid Renewables (“NGR”), Emerald Energy Venture, Jade Wind, and the centralized
• As a member of the centralized tax team, act as a conduit for all tax related communication on strategy, risks, opportunities, forecasts, tax operational activities, etc.
• Work with NGR’s executive leadership and the centralized tax function to understand the growth strategy and to develop appropriate tax planning to support growth initiatives.
• Oversee all aspects of income tax accounting and be conduit to all aspects of indirect and property tax:
Identify county, state, and federal tax obligations for each project location, and maintain quarterly tax journal entries.
Review and reconcile general ledger on a frequent basis to determine tax liability based on project location and requirements.
Understand and advises on tax accounting implications related to the operating agreements that accompany each project.
Develop and maintain SOX and operational controls for tax matters.
Perform valuation allowance analysis over deferred tax assets.
• Oversee all aspects of income tax, indirect tax, and property tax internal and external reporting (to WSIB and counterparties within the partnerships that NGR manages) under IFRS and US GAAP:
- Bridge tax accounting results from NetSuite to One Source tax accounting and reporting systems.
• Develop and maintain tax forecasts.
• Oversee the identification, analysis, quantification and reporting of uncertain tax positions.
• Participate in the review of federal, state and local income tax compliance.
• Collaborate with all departments to address specific tax risks and opportunities (supporting the
Strategy and planning Team) related to tax equity financings.
• Work with Procurement and the centralized function to identify scopes of work that are tax exempt
and provide direction and support for acquiring tax exemption certificates.
▪ Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
▪ A Masters in Taxation, Certification as a Public Accountant, or Juris Doctor degree is preferred.
▪ 7+ years’ experience working with/in complex partnership structures is preferred.
▪ Worked in public accounting (Big 4 a plus), or large corporation with a sophisticated tax department a plus.
▪ Diverse experience in tax field with a concentration in income tax accounting, reporting and compliance.
▪ Thorough knowledge of the federal and state tax compliance requirements.
▪ Experience within renewable energy and familiarity with tax equity structures and partnership tax.
▪ Regulated utility industry experience is a plus.
▪ Exhibit high personal standards of commitment and integrity.
▪ Ability to bring consistency and excellence in tax service delivery.
▪ Strong interpersonal skills and focus on team building.
▪ Proven project management skills and sound judgment.
▪ Leads complex technical discussion and analysis.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.