National Grid Senior Buyer, Category Management in Brooklyn, New York
At National Grid we are committed to delivering safe and reliable energy to the customers and communities we serve. We are one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world. We are proud of the contributions our work and our people make to the prosperity and wellbeing of our customers, communities and investors.
We are currently looking for highly motivated individuals who want to join a dynamic and fast paced organization going through a major transformation. If you are someone who’s looking to bring innovation, contribute ideas and play a part in renewing the global procurement organization we want to hear from you!
The Senior Strategic Sourcing Specialist is responsible for supporting National Grid’s Sourcing strategy within U.S. Procurement. Candidate experience should include category management, strategic sourcing, supplier relationship management, commercial negotiations, procurement process management and improvement, procurement systems and analytics, market supplier development and working knowledge of current industry trends.
U.S. Procurement is structured strategically into four category teams: Electric Services and Materials, Gas Distribution and Transmission, Wholesale Networks and Corporate Indirects. Specific teams within US Procurement looking for individuals include: Construction Services (Electric & Gas), Materials (Electric & Gas), Facilities, Energy Efficiency & Professional Services.
• With support of the Category Manager, work with Stakeholders to establish clear business needs, apply forward thinking skills to establish flexible long-term category strategies with value options & clear supplier performance criteria
• Able to execute operationally, complex sourcing activities; able to implement more than one option: RFX, e-sourcing or Consortiums
• Manage the forecast and delivery of category savings targets in support of team and Procurement commitments and goals
• Evaluate and apply the concept of total cost of ownership (TCO) and supplier and contract switching costs to support decision making options
• Solid understanding of contractual terms & conditions and able to craft structured agreements with legal and stakeholder input
• Establishes structured negotiation plans with clarity of desired outcomes, leveraging stakeholder input and support where appropriate
• Understanding of supplier’s position, desired outcomes, and leverage points
Supplier Relationship Management
Identifies critical suppliers and creates appropriate engagement plans to ensure our Supply Chain risk profile and inputs to continuous improvement are proactively managed
Demonstrates a collaborative approach with supply base and develops integrated plans to drive appropriate value for business and customer requirements
Builds appropriate supplier performance measurements (KPIs) into contractual frameworks
Holds suppliers to account for performance delivery using KPI data and strategic business reviews
Procurement Process Management and Improvement
• Drive continuous improvement using lean techniques to identify and eliminate waste in the extended E2E Supply Chain
Systems and Analytics
• Demonstrates ability in working with multiple ERP systems: SAP, Tableau, Ariba, Spend Analytics
• Understands how to analyze large data sets and extract information for strategic decision making
Market and Supplier Development
• Understanding of criteria for alternative country sourcing, associated risks and how its’ supply chain can contribute to our business needs
• Contribute to business case development to support alternate country sourcing initiatives
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A or B.S) required; in supply chain, finance or business management preferred. C.P.S.M. or equivalent certifications preferred. MBA, MS preferred.
• Preferred five years’ experience in strategic sourcing, contract negotiations and vendor management.
• Strong working knowledge of SAP, Ariba & P2P systems preferred
• Successful completion of professional negotiation coursework preferred
• Six Sigma Green Belt or PEx equivalent preferred
• An equivalent combination of education and extensive subject matter expertise along with procurement process experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education requirements listed above.
• The candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, specifically in communications across a multi-national organization. Additionally, the candidate should be proficient in planning, collaboration, and analysis.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.
National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.