National Grid Senior Analyst, Massachusetts Electric Accounting in Brooklyn, New York
National Grid is hiring a Senior Analyst, MA Electric Accounting for our Controllership in Brooklyn, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Controllership, Senior Analyst, MA Electric Accounting is responsible for performing Electric accounting functions by reviewing, verifying and reconciling accounts. Captures accounting transactions using financial systems. Responsible for identifying and remediating accounting discrepancies to produce accurate and credible financial information.
Reports to the Manager, MA Electric Accounting, and is accountable for producing accurate and credible results for the jurisdiction.
• Verifies, reconciles and updates accounts by reviewing discrepancies to produce accurate and credible data.
• Monitors and reports net income, balance sheet and cash flow variances against budget and historical data to identify anomalies or discrepancies and ensure information is accurate and credible.
• Prepares, records and processes accounting transactions and ensures allocation to appropriate accounts for accurate and credible data.
• Provides accounting data to support jurisdiction activities and financial support to rate case filings and requests for information.
• Supports month-end accounting close process to ensure timely, accurate and complete accrual of financial transactions.
• Responsible for completing month-end accounting activities to ensure timely filing and account for any variances.
• Review accounts and calculate financial adjustments and ensure proper account reconciliation.
• Responsible for following US GAAP and other accounting standards.
• Assembles and reviews supporting documentation to ensure compliance with audits.
• Compiles and reviews financial information to prepare financial statements including monthly and annual accounts.
• Ensures maintenance of financial records for compliance with accepted policies and procedures.
• Responsible for meeting financial filings and reporting deadlines.
• Responsible for supporting financial and non-financial controls to meet business requirements.
Knowledge and Experience:
• General accounting
• Identify patterns and trends
• Utility industry accounting
• Process centric operations
• US GAAP, Sarbanes-Oxley and IFRS
• Process Management
• Month-end close processes
• Risk mitigation
• Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in accounting roles with increasing responsibility. CPA preferred
• Knowledge of general ledger platforms and accounting system experience
• Knowledge of accounting or related specialized accounting discipline
• Experience working across department and geographic boundaries to lead risk mitigation, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 and the COSO Internal Control – Integrated Framework
• Background in utility service business activities and projects
• Experience reviewing and resolving data discrepancies
• Able to assess accounting issues and recommend solutions
• Ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines
• Excellent written / oral communication skills, follow-up, and negotiation skills
• Ability to build and develop teams of multi-skilled financial professional
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.