National Grid Business Auditor in Brooklyn, New York
National Grid is hiring a Business Auditor. This position will be located in Brooklyn, NY or Waltham, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
Business Auditors conduct internal audits across the businesses and operations of National Grid to provide independent assurance on the design and effectiveness of processes and controls which mitigate significant business risk. They provide recommendations to drive effective and efficient controls and processes leveraging best practices to support the business in its focus on continuous improvement.
Critical areas of focus:
• Executes internal audits, with a focus on agility and innovation for value adding and timely delivery.
• Maintains high quality and timely audit documentation.
• Produces Summary of Issues reports and Draft Audit Reports.
• Tracks and updates status of remediation actions undertaken by the business to address identified risks
Internal Audit execution:
Deliver assigned programme of audits in line with excellent quality and within allocated time, using professional judgement to set the scope and testing approach to ensure key risks are addressed.
Proactively look for areas of improvement during the audit process and provide value adding and insightful recommendations that address control and process opportunities/ weaknesses.
Continuously communicate with Senior Business Auditors to avoid surprises and ensure audit progression.
Produce Summary of issues (SOI) reports and Draft Audit Reports that are well written and effectively communicate the key finding and recommendations of an audit.
Own and manage a portfolio of audit actions being worked on by business and, on business completion, assess the effectiveness of activities undertaken to address the risks identified.
Develop and maintain strong and positive relationships with key stakeholders and maintain a thorough knowledge of the business and regulatory environment.
Must be self-motivated and can handle multiple priorities and to work under pressure.
Proactive and insightful in looking to deliver continuous improvement.
Competent decision making, problem solving and analytical skills to effectively scope and deliver value adding audits and, drawing out key messages.
Belief in own judgement and professional capability when communicating issues that have been identified.
Must be cautious and prudent guardian of sensitive/confidential information.
Strong communication, interpersonal and influencing skills to successfully undertake reviews and reach agreement on required changes.
A flexible pragmatist who understands the group strategy and can help others to understand and achieve changes that help move towards these aims.
Ability to prepare comprehensive, clear, concise reports; communicate effectively in writing and orally; maintain objectivity and impartiality.
• 3+ years auditing experience, Big 4 experience preferable with proven track record for delivering audits within multinational utility/asset management companies or operations/ functional experience from utility/ assessment management companies.
• Strong knowledge of GAAP, COSO, PCAOB Auditing Standards, Sarbanes-Oxley, risk and controls standards and SOx compliance requirements. Good knowledge and understanding of audit delivery and practices, internal control frameworks and risk management activities and skill in applying internal auditing principles and practices.
• Demonstrated track record of developing successful, long lasting, relationships across the business including ability to engage, challenge and influence senior managers, deal effectively with resistance to proposals and secure their buy-in and support.
• Strong knowledge of and experience of business processes, ideally within the utility sector.
• Knowledge of current trends within the energy industry and developments in legislation and regulation.
• Experience of managing project teams, managing others and projects independently. Project management qualification desirable.
• Highly competent in Microsoft office (e.g., PowerPoint, Excel and Word).
• Knowledge of data analytics (e.g., ACL, PowerBI), process improvement methodologies (Lean/Six Sigma) and auditing software are highly desirable.
• A focus on continued improvement and achieving high standards.
• An undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field (e.g., Accounting, Finance, "STEM" Majors or Business Administration) is required. A CPA/CA, CFA, CIA, CISA or other professional certification is a plus.
$90k - $106k a year in Waltham, MA.
$97k - $114k a year in Brooklyn, NY.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.