Avangrid Senior Foundation Fabrication Engineer in Boston, Massachusetts
Senior Foundation Fabrication Engineer
Company: AVANGRID RENEWABLES, LLC
Boston, MA, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
Avangrid Renewables, a subsidiary of Avangrid, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), is a leading developer, owner and operator of renewable energy facilities in the United States with an eight-gigawatt portfolio of onshore wind and solar projects across 22 states. Avangrid Renewables’ offshore wind business is pioneering this new industry with a development pipeline of five gigawatts off the East Coast. Our offshore portfolio consists of the first-in-the-nation joint venture project Vineyard Wind, which will deliver 800 MW of clean energy into Massachusetts starting in 2023; Park City Wind, an 804 MW project to serve the state of Connecticut; and Kitty Hawk Offshore Wind that has the potential to deliver 2,500 MW of clean energy into Virginia and North Carolina. We aspire to be the employer of choice by providing purposeful and challenging work revolutionizing the renewable energy industry in the United States. This role will be part of a team developing, designing, constructing and operating large scale offshore wind projects which will provide affordable, clean energy and will have a transformational impact on local communities. Avangrid Renewables’ offshore business is located in Boston, Massachusetts.
Avangrid is part of the IBERDROLA Group, a global energy pioneer with the largest renewable asset base of any company in the world. Avangrid employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies – a list of America’s best corporate citizens – and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute.
The Fabrication Engineer is a critical role within the Offshore Renewables Business, focusing on the delivery of large-scale offshore wind projects and large work packages for various projects within the US.
Working within the Engineering Management team and reporting to the Foundations Manager for US Offshore Wind, the Fabrication Engineer will be responsible for supporting the Foundations Package with the successful delivery of the Foundations Package on major US offshore wind projects.
• Support Package Manager with the Foundations supply package for one of Avangrid Renewables’ Joint Venture offshore wind projects in the United States, providing problem solving, assessment and recommendations to ensure successful delivery of the Foundation Monopiles (MPs), Transition Pieces (TPs) and Anode Cages (ACs) in a multi-contract package within time, to budget and quality following industry best practice and observing the maximum respect for Health, Safety and the Environment to ensure regulatory and legal compliance.
• Taking initiative and responsibility of key tasks and workstreams within the MP and TP foundation fabrication contracts, managing program, budget, and quality matters on the contract(s) with the assistance of other project managers and team members within the package.
• Dealing with all concerned interfaces including within package (design and T&I) as well as multiple packages (e.g. Free Issued Equipment items such as davit crane installation, testing of components supplied by other packages etc.)
• Supporting Package manager in ensuring that the foundations are delivered in accordance with the design, via close liaison with the Design management team in the Foundations Department.
• Responsible for managing the review of documents issued by fabricators including coordinating review of all necessary persons and contributing to the review itself, in a timely manner and to high quality
• Responsible for ensuring that communication notes, technical queries and all topics raised by fabricators are address in a timely manner and to high quality.
• Responsible for raising technical queries and communication notes with the fabricators as required
• Flexibility to travel regularly to fabrications sites based on Spain and/or Germany to follow up on progress as instructed/agreed with the Package Manager
• Responsible to coordinate and be in regular communication with the site supervision teams based in Spain and/or Germany to ensure progress is continuously achieved
• Management of change, including supporting the package manager as required such as participation in negotiating and minimizing the commercial and program impact of variations to the contract(s)
• Covering for the Foundations Fabrication Manager in periods of absence of the PM
• Reporting of key matters to the Package Manager and dealing with project managers and business directors when required
• Presentation of key updates at regular intervals to a wide audience.
• Responsible for assisting the Package Manager in resolving major technical and commercial matters on the package
• Ensuring that cost effective technical solutions are identified, fully evaluated and the risk profile is fully understood by the project.
• Assisting Package Manager with ensuring that all assessment, advice and recommendations are fully documented in accordance with all internal procedures and industry best practice, and that sufficient technical and commercial due diligence (whether internal or external) exists to support those business decisions.
• Ensuring that health, safety and environmental requirements are fully considered and adhered to in design to ensure compliance with legislation and industry best practice.
• Maintaining full awareness of the latest technical and commercial developments and identifying suitable new technology that has the potential to reduce cost and risk or improve safety.
• Assisting Package Manager with implementing offshore standards, procedures, tools, best practices and quality requirements for the package to ensure delivery according to specification, budget and program without compromising safety.
• Ensuring that appropriate lessons learnt regarding offshore wind farm development and construction are captured and shared across the different Offshore Project work packages.
Skills and Requirements
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or equivilant
• PE license preferred (PE not required with Master’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering)
• 5+ years of postgraduate experience.
• Substantial experience in a relevant field (offshore wind or oil and gas preferable).
• IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems and other IT based project management software.
• Comprehensive knowledge of health, safety and environmental legislation associated with offshore/marine construction projects.
• Comprehensive knowledge of engineering procedures, standards and guidance.
• Significant experience of leading highly skilled teams.
• Significant experience of managing large contracts (about $100m).
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Flexible to travel 10 - 20% including international travel.
• Fluent in English.
• Experience in the offshore wind sector.
• Experience in fabrication of offshore Wind Turbine Foundations (MPs, TPs, Jackets) or similar
• Experience in design of offshore Wind Turbine Foundations (MPs, TPs, Jackets) would be ideal
Please also note that AVANGRID currently has a COVID-19 vaccination Policy in place that, among other requirements, requires all employees to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status. Any applicant who receives a conditional offer will be required to submit acceptable documentation regarding their COVID-19 vaccination status after receiving such conditional offer and prior to commencing employment. This Policy also requires all employees to either become fully vaccinated or to undergo weekly testing beginning on February 9, 2022. All AVANGRID policies may be modified or discontinued at any time, for any reason at the Company’s full and sole discretion.
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com