Avangrid Grid Electrical Engineer in Boston, Massachusetts
Grid Electrical Engineer
Company: AVANGRID RENEWABLES, LLC
Boston, MA, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
Avangrid is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the world’s largest integrated utility companies and a world leader in wind energy. Our focus is on renewable energy, smart grids and driving the change to a cleaner, electric future and we’re investing billions to make this happen. We’re committed to speeding up the transition to cleaner electric transport, improving air quality and over time, driving down bills.
Avangrid Renewables and their parent company Iberdrola is at the forefront of the development of the renewables industry through pioneering ideas, forward thinking and outstanding innovation, evidenced by a recent commitment of billions in renewables.
A major focus for the company’s renewables investment is offshore wind with Avangrid’s parent company Iberdrola planning to increase offshore wind power by 4.5 times its current level. Our US offshore windfarm development portfolio comprises Kitty Hawk, Vineyard Wind (50% shareholder), Park City Wind, and Commonwealth Wind. Additionally, our team is part of the Global Offshore Engineering Team and provide input to our international offshore project pipelines.
At Avangrid Renewables, we know people are central to building a better future, quicker, and we are seeking new talent to join our Engineering Team.
The Senior Engineer (Main Electrical Equipment Manager) is a critical role within the Offshore Renewables Business, focusing on the delivery of large-scale offshore wind projects in the USA and overseas. The role will require an expert in EHV/HV equipment in general, ideally with knowledge related to offshore wind farms.
Belonging to the Project Services Grid department and reporting at the project level to the Electrical Design Manager, the Senior Engineer will be responsible for specification of main electrical equipment technical requirements, tendering, negotiating and managing contracts, planning and implementing delivery of tasks associated interfaces, defining company and business engineering standards and technical acceptance criteria, and ensuring quality, best practices and excellent H&SE performance are applied, managing engineering activities and decisions from a lead engineering perspective across the offshore project portfolio. The position is based in Boston, MA.
• Responsible for EHV/HV equipment specification and design, providing key engineering advice, assessment and recommendations to ensure delivery of projects within time, to budget and quality following the highest industry practice and observing the maximum respect for Health, Safety and the Environment to ensure regulatory and legal compliance.
• Provide expert advice on engineering strategies / risk levels relevant to a multi-million dollars work package, to ensure that cost effective technical solutions are identified, fully evaluated and the risk profile is fully understood by the project.
• Ensure that all assessment, advice and recommendations are fully documented in accordance with all internal procedures and industry best practice, and that technical and commercial due diligence (whether internal or external) exists to support those business decisions.
• Provide professional leadership and direction to team members, potentially comprising employees working within several countries throughout Europe and the USA, to ensure professional standards are maintained (or enhanced) and the team delivers a consistent, high quality, cost effective service to the projects.
• Ensure that health and safety and environmental requirements are fully considered and adhered to in design to ensure compliance with legislation and industry best practice.
• Be fully aware, informed and up to date of the latest technical developments related to EHV/HV electrical equipment and identify and assess suitable new that has the potential activities to reduce cost and risk, or improve safety.
• Develop design documents, technical reports, perform CBA and other design related documentation / presentation to justify design decision to project stakeholder / upper management.
• Lead the implementation of offshore standards, procedures, tools, best practices and quality requirements for large scale offshore windfarm multi-contract work packages to ensure that packages are delivered according to specification, budget and programme without compromising safety.
• Work with other centers of technical excellence across the Iberdrola group to support synergistic activities and incorporate lessons learned.
• Work with key suppliers and stakeholders in the field, for example software vendors, specialist consultants, academia and innovation organisations to develop and understand the leading-edge solutions
• Ensure lessons learnt regarding offshore wind farm development and construction are captured and shared across the different projects (large work packages). Establish the right mechanisms for this process and ensure that the engineering team implements them to enhance business value.
• Be able to support a project in the execution phase by responding quickly to field questions, design change requests and be able identify scope gaps before design is released.
Skills and Requirements
• 5 to 7 years of experience in interfacing and managing suppliers and contractors
• Extensive knowledge and experience in EHV/HV electrical equipment related to large scale generation and related grid connections
• Extensive experience in the area of Electrical Works related to renewables, ideally offshore wind, covering transmission and generation projects in terms of design as well as system studies.
• Extensive experience in the engineering, procurement, and construction or operation of EHV/HV equipment related to step up substations
• Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline with a higher level degree (e.g. MEng) desirable.
• Pro-active and diligent approach.
• Knowledgeable in terms of IEEE Std and IEC.
• Extensive experience in dealing with health, safety and environmental legislation associated with construction, marine and offshore projects.
• Proven experience in delivery of electrical equipment design, procurement and installation works, including contract management, programme management, cost and risk control.
• Sound relationship management skills and confidence working with Business Directors and Senior Management.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to influence and develop key project and business decisions.
• Excellent report writing, presentation skills and ability to summarize key parameters and drivers impacting the project and business.
• Ability to work, manage teams and manage decision making processes under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Innovative and creative thinking
• Contribute (or ensure resources are available) to early development projects (large packages), giving advice to development teams on build ability / delivery issues.
Please also note that AVANGRID currently has a COVID-19 vaccination Policy in place that, among other requirements, requires all employees to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status. Any applicant who receives a conditional offer will be required to submit acceptable documentation regarding their COVID-19 vaccination status after receiving such conditional offer and prior to commencing employment. This Policy also requires all employees to either become fully vaccinated or to undergo weekly testing beginning on February 9, 2022. All AVANGRID policies may be modified or discontinued at any time, for any reason at the Company’s full and sole discretion.
Be a role model
Collaborate and Share
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Focus to achieve results
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com