Southern Company Engineer/Analyst in Birmingham, Alabama
This position is a member of the Operations Technology (OT) Infrastructure & Cyber Team that supports the OT network for the Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS). The team maintains all domain administration, infrastructure (server, workstations, etc.), cyber security, database infrastructure and Citrix. The successful candidate should be a positive team player and is familiar with Oracle, SQL Server and Postgres databases.
*Job Responsibilities: *
· Responsible for regular maintenance, monitoring and troubleshooting of databases.
· Manage database security, integrity, stability, and system availability.
· Maintain all database instances across development, staging, production environments, installations, and configurations as needed.
· Installation, Configuration, Upgrading and Patching of databases and related products.
· Assists with support of SQL Server and Postgres database systems
· Demonstrate willingness to learn new skills and provide knowledge transfer to other team members.
· Team player with excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills
· Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation.
*Job Qualification Requirements: *
· Relevant and applicable BS/BA in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Engineering, Math, or 10 years of experience
· Proven experience as a Database Administrator with a focus on Oracle and PostgreSQL.
· Prior experience with performance analysis, performance tuning and with debugging, identifying and fixing performance issues.
· Experience installing, patching, upgrading, and maintaining Oracle database.
· Knowledge of AD (Active Directory) Authentication and the ability to utilize MFA (Multi Factor Authentication) is essential.
· Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
· Ability to quickly grasp new concepts, incorporate innovations, and stay up to date with industry and business directions.
· Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
*Behavioral Attributes: *
· Ability to establish and maintain strong positive relationships in a team environment.
· Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and responsibilities.
· Effective use of time management skills.
· Takes ownership of assigned work and pays attention to detail.
Alabama Power provides the valuable combination of competitive prices, reliable electricity supply and unparalleled service to 1.4 million homes, businesses and industries in the southern two-thirds of Alabama.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Information Technology
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-Metro Birmingham/Eastern AL-Birmingham
Operating Company: Alabama Power Company
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
APC Corporate Headquarters - 600 North 18th Street (600BIRMINGHAM)
600 North 18th Street
Req ID: APC2008282
- Southern Company Jobs