Eversource Energy Staff Accountant in Berlin, Connecticut
Job Description Summary:
The Staff Accountant position will be responsible for closing the books on a monthly basis, analyzes results and explains any variances between the actual period and the prior year. The Staff Accountant position is responsible for keeping the Revenue/Regulatory books of an assigned company and for maintaining accurate and detailed records in support of those books. The Staff Accountant is also responsible for working with the budgeting group in the budgeting process and monthly variances to actual.
- Prepares journal entries, account reconciliations and performs control activities (including SOX key control activities) to ensure accuracy, completeness, and adherence to GAAP and ensures deadlines are met.
- Keeps detailed information in support of all entries. Ensures books and records are complete, accurate and maintained in accordance with generally acceptable accounting principles and all state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Prepares financial variance analysis on their assigned companies which includes interfacing with other departments.
- Prepares work papers for, and interfaces with, external financial auditors.
- Completes monthly, quarterly and annual reports for state, federal and industry groups (includes financial reports to FERC, DPU, PURA and other regulatory bodies).
- Assists Revenue Requirements and Rates departments with distribution rate case, tracker reconciliation, and other formal regulatory filings.
- Assists Contract Administration and Sundry Billing functions as needed (which are also part of Revenue and Regulatory Accounting group).
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Requires knowledge of GAAP. Also requires superior spreadsheet modeling skills and basic understanding of accounting system applications. Also requires effective written and oral communication skills. Ability to use PC desktop applications (e.g., Microsoft Word and Excel).
Education: A Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or closely-related field required. A Master’s level degree and/or CPA designation is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of (5) five years experience required preferably in a corporate and/or public accounting environment.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor