Eversource Energy Senior Engineer, Substation Engineering and Design (Hybrid) in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
THIS POSITION IS ALSO BEING POSTED AT THE ENGINEER LEVEL (R-019946); HOWEVER ONLY ONE POSITION WILL ULTIMATELY BE FILLED.
This is a hybrid role. The first three months are fulltime in the office.
The Senior Engineer, in Substation Engineering and Design, is responsible for performing engineering assignments requiring professional mastery of subject matter and extensive experience associated with electric distribution and transmission substations. The Senior Engineer acts as a project engineer for all substation project assignments and is accountable for leading the engineering design effort, including development of engineering solutions and ensuring quality of deliverables, managing engineering schedule, coordinating the efforts of other assigned engineering disciplines and close coordination with procurement and construction personnel. Other project specific duties include defining the concept, scope, and detailed engineering aspects of substation and switching station projects, supporting the preparation and development of project cost estimates and schedules, supporting the preparation of capital project budget authorization documents, and conducting engineering studies associated with the design and application of substation equipment and materials. The Senior Engineer works closely with the Engineering Design and Drafting group to prepare, review, and issue engineering drawings in support of both Capital and Expense projects.
The selected candidate must possess the ability to organize engineering projects, work to a schedule, and follow through on all assignments as necessary to support design through energization. They are responsible for ensuring that the Eversource transmission and distribution systems are designed to high quality standards that provide customers with safe, reliable, competitively priced, and environmentally sound electric service.
- Applicable experience in 5kV through 345kV substation design in accordance with associated IEEE/ANSI standards.
- Acts as a technical leader and applies standard engineering techniques and procedures on complex projects.
- Provides technical guidance and leadership to other engineers to assist in the development of their technical skills.
- Fills the role of project engineer providing electrical discipline leadership, including interdisciplinary coordination, and scheduling.
- Ability to prioritize project work for several projects occurring concurrently under budget and time constraints.
- Collaborates with other Engineering disciplines to ensure consistency and teamwork.
- Collaborates with other departments such as System Planning, Distributed Energy Resources, Asset Management, Project Management, Project Scheduling, Siting and Permitting, and Plant Accounting, to support project planning, technical and financial approvals, scheduling, regulatory submittals and interrogatories, and project closeout.
- Works with System Planning to develop substation specific scope in support of system reliability solutions studies.
- Ensures that the design and specification of additions, modifications, and replacements to the transmission and distribution systems are completed accurately and in accordance with internal and industry standards.
- Responsible for the development of standards, procedures, and equipment specifications.
- Responsible for the development and approval of project scopes, engineering designs, details, material ordering, and cost estimates, as necessary.
- Responsible for the development and update of equipment specifications, participation in equipment RFP process, and review/approval of manufacturers’ drawings and documentation.
- Provides technical support and direction to operating areas relative to system priorities, engineering guidelines, and operating decisions during normal and emergency situations.
- Supports emergent and/or equipment failures as necessary to support operations.
- Actively support storm and/or emergency restoration assignments as necessary.
- The candidate must have strong command of the English language with good written and oral communication skills to work effectively with internal team members as well as external personnel.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology is required.
- An advanced degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of Substation Engineering, Power Systems, or related electric utility experience is required.
- Familiarity with substation equipment such as transformers, circuit breakers, switchgear, reclosers, capacitor banks and associated controls, instrument transformers, reactors, switches, and batteries are desired.
- A valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Eversource offers a competitive total rewards program. The annual salary range for this position is $118,690.00 to $131,880.00, plus incentive. Salary is commensurate with your experience. Check out the career site for an overview of benefits.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Please include a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs