Eversource Energy Manager, Project Contracts & Controls in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Role and Scope of Position:
This position is responsible for the group that provides contract administration services to a specific organization (e.g. Engineering; Off Shore Wind). Plans and directs the procurement of services for capital projects and some expense projects, from the initiation of requests for proposals through the negotiation of contracts and the administration of those contracts. Manages the Project Controls Contract Administration Team to ensure transmission and distribution projects are completed on time, on budget, safely and in line with performance targets while minimizing risk and exposure. Develops and maintains critical contractor relationships and/or partnerships. Takes the lead in managing the interface with Purchasing, Transmission Project Management and Engineering, and other internal stakeholders both within the Transmission Business, Distribution Operating Companies and Eversource as needed. Provides leadership and oversees the work activity of the Project Controls Contract Administration Team.
- Responsible for contract issues for external engineering resources from project execution to contract closeout. Works with procurement to develop and execute engineering contract strategies and manage contract administration in support of engineering activities.
- Responsible for managing engineering change control process (i.e. engineering change notification, request for information, contract change order, etc.). Ensures engineering baselines for cost and schedule are established and monitored against actual engineering performance. Produces/maintains engineering variance reports, external engineering scorecards and performance dashboards.
- Cultivates long-term relationships with key technology partners, vendors, and contractors which are critical in achieving Eversource strategic objectives. Directs and coaches others on the Engineering Team in maintaining and managing those relationships for the best interest of Eversource.
- Oversees and is responsible for all project related contract matters from initial planning, contract documentation and need identification through project execution and contract closeout. Ensures work under contracts is in accordance with corporate guidelines for awarding. Responsible for planning, scheduling and leading awarding committee meetings.
- Directs the process used to develop proposals in response to others’ RFQs or RFPs, including developing partnerships, pricing strategy, scope of work, technical and commercial specifications, terms and conditions, attending bidders’ conferences, contract proposals and negotiations.
- Negotiates or directs the negotiation of contracts, following best practices, for major transmission and distribution projects involved in the expansion and upgrade of facilities within and outside of the franchise area.
- Responsible for quality of contractor resource pool – defines and oversees contractor performance expectations.
- Responsible for the effective partnering and communication between the Project Controls Contract Administration Team and Project Management, Engineering, other Transmission and Distribution departments, Procurement, Legal, and other groups as appropriate, managing the cross-functional relationships.
- Provides strategic direction in translating the interpretation of business requirements into contractual provisions. Responsible for leading annual Supplier Relationship Management program requirements for engineering contracts.
- Directs the process used to develop and evaluate bid packages for both Eversource bid and bidder situations.
- Represents Eversource’s interests for capital and expense work in directing the process of securing all contracts for engineering services, including design, construction support and testing (partnering with legal and purchasing).
- Ensures that all invoices, contract amendments and contract change orders are processed timely and in accordance with contract requirements. Provides contract administration variance report (partial payment, invoice disputes, pending claims, approvals not moving) to Engineering and Project Management Directors.
- Ensures appropriate level of contract change documentation to support out of scope claims and reasonableness of the compensation.
- Coordinates claim disputes with responsible Engineering discipline lead/Engineering Directors, Project Manager/Project Directors and others as needed to review potential disputes and claims before they become legal issues. With Legal, provide counsel to Engineering discipline lead and Project Managers regarding possible business strategy solutions.
- Directs the process to monitor, close out and archive contracts, including proper documentation and appropriate changes to procedures.
- Ensures compliance with corporate procedures consistent with regulatory requirements. Performs periodic self-audits to ensure compliance. Develops reporting and corrective action plan to resolve/mitigate findings.
- Builds a diverse, cohesive team to meet the strategic needs of the Eversource.
- Provides direction and coaching as needed to the Project Controls Contract Administration Team. Evaluates training needs and provides development opportunities as appropriate.
- May direct scheduling resources in support of project management organization.
Other required skills include experience using and managing the use of Maximo, P6, Ariba, eBuilder, Power BI and Excel software. This individual understands and applies financial, accounting, business, risk and project management theories and methodologies. Knowledge of financial modeling, accounting, risk management, project management information systems, engineering economics, capital investment analysis techniques, plant accounting, tax and capital budgeting. The individual must possess good communication skills, and demonstrate the ability to lead and direct activities of others. Individual will require a good understanding of corporate strategies and initiatives along with a thorough understanding of the Engineering organization. Ability to monitor and analyze cost and scheduling information, provide forecasts, oversee the development of bid documentation, make recommendations, and communicate effectively at all levels. Demonstrated ability to influence group culture.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, or equivalent degree will be considered
- MBA or equivalent education highly desirable
- Law Degree may be helpful
- Minimum of ten to twelve (10-12) years of related experience, including a minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a Project Manager managing large complex multi-year projects.
- Previous experience as a supervisor and/or working in team environments supporting process improvements and group facilitation.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) desirable.
- Must be available to work emergency storm assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Mental Aspects :
- Must be able to proactively identify problematic trends and creative systematic solutions. Must be able to manage concurrent interface with multiple groups and navigate competing priorities.
- Work includes analyzing, planning, organizing, evaluating and documenting. This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Please submit a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs