Eversource Energy Lead Engineer, Substation Standards in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
Role and Scope of Position:
Lead Engineer is responsible for the development, expansion, planning, design, maintenance and operation of the system and its equipment to meet the mission and objectives of the organization. In addition, this position coordinates the evaluation of system failures, and the appropriate resolutions to provide support to operations on unplanned maintenance. Responsible for ensuring that the Eversource transmission, substation and distribution systems are designed to high quality standards that provide customers with safe, reliable, competitively priced and environmentally sound electric service. This position shares accountability with peers in the strategy, development, and design of the organization’s Life Cycle Plan, a comprehensive long-term plan for the transmission, substation, and distribution systems. Responsible for supervising, assigning, prioritizing, and directing the work performed by other Engineers and staff.
- Self-directed, Supervises, coaches, and develops engineers; approves time and conducts. performance reviews. Assigns, prioritizes, and directs work performed by Engineers.
- Responsible for the cost and performance of certain assets on the system which may include reliability analysis and trending of system events and monitoring of equipment condition.
- Responsible for the development, justification, and approval of the Life Cycle Plan activities over a multi-year horizon and for ongoing projects.
- Ensures that the design and specification of additions, modifications and replacements to the transmission, Substation and distribution systems are completed accurately and on time.
- Responsible for the development of preliminary engineering designs and the details, as necessary.
- Collaborates with other Engineers within Engineering to ensure consistency and teamwork.
- Provides technical support and direction to operating areas relative to system priorities, engineering guidelines and operating decisions during normal and emergency situations.
- Accountable for root-cause analysis, development, and implementation of corrective actions.
- Responsible for the evaluation and selection of technology and equipment for the system.
- Responsible for the development of standards and procedures for design, operation, and maintenance.
- Assumes the role of the Manager as required.
- Work includes calculating, comparing, technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, designing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing, and presenting.
- Capable of performing multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
- Evaluation of Distribution and Substation Equipment and Materials to be used on the Electrical Distribution System and Substations.
- Material Procurement and Specification development and Material Standard creation.
- Construction Standards to support field personnel with installing the Substation and Distribution Equipment.
- Work Method Standards to support field personnel with operating the Substation and Distribution Equipment.
- Equipment Performance, Reliability and Failure Analysis tracking and field and system engineering support.
- Works with other departments to provide technical support.
- Analyzes and investigates field needs; recommends appropriate solution.
8+ years of related experience is required (including below).
- Knowledge of the principles of electricity, mechanics, hydraulics, and structures.
- Knowledge of national code and their interpretation.
- Knowledge of Substation Equipment Specification is required.
- Knowledge of Substation and Distribution Equipment Maintenance is desirable.
- Skill in the use of technical and engineering instruments and tools.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency using the Microsoft Office Suite and internet applications.
- Excellent Analytical, Technical Writing and Oral Communication skills are required.
- Ability to set work priorities.
- Ability to maintain records, and prepare reports and correspondence related to the work.
- Substation equipment and standards experience is highly desirable.
- Experience in the utility industry is highly desirable.
- Willingness and ability to work during storms for extent hours.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is required, Electrical.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs