Eversource Energy Lead Data Engineer, Protection and Controls in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
P&C Lead Data Engineer is responsible for ensuring seamless operations of critical P&C specific enterprise systems. This includes maintaining integrity of relay settings records, configuration and connectivity of an expanding fleet of Disturbance Monitoring Equipment and Microprocessor relays and ensure that department personnel are following internal processes with respect to these systems. This role also includes sharing pertinent information with other business systems to support business improvements and regulatory requirements and for database system upgrades, database integration with other business systems, and database IT coordination. This position shares accountability with peers in the IT, GIS, Grid Modernization, Distribution Engineering, and System Operations organizations. This is considered an experienced position.
This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results. This position also requires the ability to support emergency restoration efforts as required to support the core business.
- Review and evaluate proposed changes to existing regulatory documents to ensure database systems and internal procedures are aligned with the requirements and established Eversource protection system standards and practices
- Analyze protection system records to ensure they are maintained in accordance to NERC, NPCC, and ISO NE standards
- Interface with Eversource Planning, Operations and Field personnel to support their efforts to plan, operate and maintain the transmission and distribution system
- Support and facilitate the development of Database sharing between Cascade, Aspen Oneliner and PowerBase and additional systems as necessary
- Provides input into the modernization, improvement and standardization of P&C compliance data management practices across Eversource’s three state service territory
- Leads efforts related to the creation of P&C data management platforms, scripts and/or databases
- Maintains and provides upkeep support services for any new and existing tracking database or data management efforts
- Performs internal analysis using tracking data to provide additional insight into implementation efforts. Uses tracking data to identify success and proactively identify potential areas of concern to allow implementation to make mid-course corrections.
- Responds to regulatory or stakeholder requests/inquiries related to data, data management, data platforms, and/or databases
- Standardizes tracking data – creates consistency in measure definitions and the granularity at which regulatory compliance and data processes are tracked
- Collaborates across Eversource and the wider engineering and operational organization to ensure that internal and external reports are using a consistent source of data
- Collaborates with other supervisors and managers, as well as other Program Administrators, regarding data management policies
- Identifies and helps to remediate root causes of data issues that may be encountered
- Supervises at least one direct report
- Extensive knowledge of data management best practices.
- Requires familiarity with protective relaying, control and monitoring technologies and their application in the electrical industry
- Also requires exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to use PC desktop applications (e.g., excel, access, ORACLE and SAS)
- Experience with programming languages such as SQL a plus
- Work includes data entry, data manipulation, data analysis, technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, designing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing, and presenting
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
Required Experience :
- 8+ years of related experience
- Supervisory experience managing 1 or more direct reports
- Experience with the management and configuring of known utility software such as Powerbase, ASPEN, CAPE, Crossbow, SEL and GE relays
- Experience with management and configuration of NERC CIP compliant network architectures
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs