Eversource Energy Engineer - Substation Engineering & Design in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
Job Description Summary:
Individual will perform engineering assignments in support of electric substation and switching station construction projects at medium and high voltage levels. Duties include developing requirements defining the concept, scope, need and engineering & design aspects of substation and switching station projects, supporting the preparation of project cost estimates and schedules, supporting the preparation of capital project budget and authorization documents, and conducting engineering studies involving substation equipment and materials. Candidate will be assigned as Subject Matter Expert for one or more substation equipment categories which will require development and update of standard specifications, review of maintenance practices, participation in equipment failure analysis, and other duties which require in depth knowledge of the equipment. Candidate will also work closely with the Engineering Design and Drafting group to prepare, review and issue engineering drawings in support of both Capital and Expense projects. The selected candidate must possess the ability to organize engineering projects, work to a schedule andfollow-to-completion,communicate with others effectively to lead a multi-disciplinary engineering and design team for substation projects, use computers effectively, and write clearly and concisely.
- Responsible for the cost and performance of certain assets on the system which may include reliability analysis and trending of system events and monitoring of equipment condition.
- Responsible for the development, justification and approval of the Life Cycle Plan activities over a multi-year horizon and for ongoing projects.
- Ensures that the design and specification of additions, modifications and replacements to the transmission and distribution systems are completed accurately and on time.
- Responsible for the development and approval of project scopes, engineering designs, details, material ordering, and cost estimates, as necessary.
- Responsible for hiring contract engineering firms and monitoring progress and performance (Development of engineering scope of work, review of submittals, and approval of invoices).
- Collaborates with other Engineers within Engineering to ensure consistency and teamwork.
- Collaborates with other departments such as System Planning, Distributed Energy Resources, Asset Management, Project Management, Project Scheduling, Siting and Permitting, and Plant Accounting, to support project planning, technical and financial approvals, scheduling, regulatory submittals and interrogatories, and project closeout.
- Provides technical support and direction to operating areas relative to system priorities, engineering guidelines and operating decisions during normal and emergency situations.
- Accountable for root-cause analysis, development and implementation of corrective actions.
- Responsible for the evaluation and selection of technology and equipment for the system.
- Responsible for the development of standards and procedures for design, operation and maintenance.
- Responsible for the development and update of equipment specifications, participation in equipment RFP process, and review/approval of manufacturers’ drawings and documentation.
- Possess the ability to communicate effectively with others, use computers effectively, and write clearly and concisely.
- Expected to assist with storm duty and any other major events.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering is required.
- A minimum of three (3)years of Substation Engineering or related electric utility experience is required.
- Familiarity with substation equipment such as transformers, circuit breakers, switchgear, reclosers, capacitor banks and associated controls, instrument transformers, reactors, switches, and batteries is desired.
- Individual must hold a valid motor vehicle operator’s license. Individual must be able to work in-person (Berlin, CT) and attend site visits as required. Hybrid in-person and remote work is available after several months of in-person training.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs