Eversource Energy Director-Substation Technical, Engineering in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)
Role and Scope of Position:
This position has primary responsibility for the leadership and direction of the Substation Technical Engineering organization for all three states and shares in the optimal performance, utilization of substation & transmission line system assets.
This position directs a team of managers, engineers and technical support personnel who, in turn, collaborates closely with Engineering teams, field operations and maintenance organizations and other business partners to conduct all research and daily activities to support operation, maintenance and testing of substation facilities and equipment. This position also includes responsibility for leading the planning, design, development, implementation, operation and support of telecommunication systems.
- Manages the Substation Technical Engineering function by establishing and monitoring area goals, policies, plans, standards, performance objectives and budget. Analyzes and recommends resource levels to plan, develop and implement policies and practices. Establishes operating and financial objectives and aligns with department goals. Manages area financial resources.
- Leads the organization to establish standardization and sharing of best practices across all three states to improve efficiency of work and maximize system reliability.
- Oversees the management and development of area staff. Assesses the need for, and oversees implementation of, programs to ensure employees possess the technical, interpersonal and organizational skills required to support operating plans. Manages, selects, coaches and develops area staff.
- Manages the commissioning activities of new or modified substations and ensures work is completed safely, on time and within budget.
- Manages the implementation of substation equipment monitoring & substation equipment maintenance strategies to maximize system reliability and reduce O&M costs.
- Manages the first response to all substation events and is responsible for incident investigations, facilitating support from other departments as needed. Leads the management of the various telecommunication technologies used within the company to ensure that the right mix of products and services is being utilized to meet current and anticipated business requirements.
- Develops the annual plan and budget for substation & telecommunication system operation and maintenance in collaboration with Electric Operations. Adjusts the plans, as needed, through incorporation of the results of root cause analyses and system changes.
- Requires thorough knowledge of substation design and operations support, resource planning, managing operating budgets and operating plans, and working cross-functionally
- Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of twelve (12) years of related experience is required.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be available to work emergency storm assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, writing, typing and communicating.
Mental Aspects :
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment.If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs