Eversource Energy Director, Field Engineering & Communications in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! This position is jointly accountable with other Operations directors for providing safe, reliable and cost-effective electric service to customers. Responsible for the direction of the field engineering and lab services for the Eversource CT and western MA transmission and distribution system. This position is also responsible for the effective management of the Eversource CT and western MA transmission and distribution communications systems’ assets and activities including microwave, radio and fiber-optic systems. This position is responsible to ensure that field engineering and communications processes and practices are in compliance with applicable North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards and Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) standards and guidelines. Works collaboratively with organizations across Eversource to ensure business goals and plans are
- Directs and oversees the development and implementation of policies, programs and processes which promote improved, safe, reliable and efficient performance of substation and field communications assets.
- Participates in the development, evaluation and introduction of new telecommunications technology changes. Ensures that improvements in systems, processes and procedures are identified and implemented.
- Identifies and implements improvements in Eversource’s communications systems, processes and procedures. Provides expertise and focused attention on the company’s growing communications systems assets and emerging communications technologies.
- Establishes plans to improve the cost effectiveness, timeliness and reliability of field engineering services as well as T&D communication system operations.
- Directs the development and implementation of technical, systemic and work process changes needed to improve efficiency, quality and productivity.
- Plans and manages the department’s financial resources through defining and developing capital, operations and maintenance budgets.
- Manages, selects, coaches and develops area staff.. Assesses the need for, and oversees implementation of, programs to ensure employees possess technical and behavioral skills required to support operating plans.
- Requires extensive knowledge of transmission and distribution issues and activities within the electric utility industry.
- Demonstrated experience in developing a management team, leading a union workforce and process re-engineering.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business or a related discipline or equivalent experience. MS in Engineering or MBA preferred.
Experiences: Minimum of twelve (12) years managing or supervising groups engaged intransmission/distributionor related activities, including communications systems experience.
Licenses & Certifications: N/A
- Must be available to work emergency storm assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Mental Aspects :
- Work includes calculating, comparing, technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, designing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing, presenting, etc. This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff, where possible, in hiring/promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
- Eversource Energy Jobs