Eversource Energy Director, Equity and Environmental Justice in Berlin, Connecticut
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Role and Scope of Position:
The Director of Equity and Environmental Justice (EEJ) is a leadership level function reporting to the Vice President, Corporate Citizenship and Equity and serves as an integral part of the Corporate Relations leadership team, and the Eversource energy leadership team.
The Director of EEJ will lead internal collaboration, development, and implementation of an environmental justice policy for Eversource, expanding on equity guidelines developed by Eversource’s Pro-Equity Advisory Team (PEAT). The Director of EEJ will identify opportunities to advance environmental justice across the company's service territory, supporting Eversource functional areas in planning and and execution of equity measures related to Eversource Energy's customers and communities. The EEJ Director will develop strong and effective external relationships with organizations and individuals (universities, environmental advocates, government) and be a liaison to ensure the priorities and input from key external stakeholders are communicated and carefully considered in decision making concerning impacts of our work in our communities. The Director will advise on content of outreach plans, strategies, policies and tools and approaches.
- Develops an Environmental Justice Vision/Mission Statement.
- Demonstrates leadership commitment to environmental justice and equity issues.
- Provides thought leadership to company teams and guidance in regulatory dockets and other governmental proceedings regarding equity and environmental justice.
- Works with business partners to identify and strengthen linkages with key groups and coalitions and supports business areas to identify processes, resources and other steps needed to further integrate equity priorities into their work that directly impacts Eversource's communities.
- Works with business units to develop a strategy to leverage the company’s equity and environmental justice program to influence positive outcomes in project siting, permitting and approvals, procurement, as well as customer and community-facing programs including energy efficiency, solar, electric vehicle, and infrastructure.
- Develops a Customer Equity training and education program for employees.
- Represents Eversource at industry and other forums and on relevant committees to communicate environmental justice and equity leadership and initiatives for our customers and communities.
- Collaborate with Eversource's office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Human Resources to ensure functional and work alignment.
- Strong background in environmental law and policy, and/or social justice policies and programs.
- Meaningful work experience in efforts on behalf of communities with respect to remediation of social, environmental, economic and energy justice inequities.
- Eight (8) or more years of relevant work experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to set priorities and focus on identifying most critical opportunities to address and achieve equity and environmental justice goals.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. Ability to clearly communicate at all levels of organization and externally.
- Ability to actively listen to communities and advocates, effectively use that input to shape efforts
- Ability to understand legal and policy challenges on a variety of equity and environmental issues and devise strategies to address them.
- Ability to think strategically and design systemic approaches to reaching required goals.
- Ability to collaborate effectively at all levels of the organization
- Effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously with moderate supervision and produce high-quality work products.
- Ability to plan and schedule projects and work under deadlines - must multi-task effectively.
- Ability to form and nurture relationships with allies and opponents.
- Demonstrable ability to think strategically and creatively while applying sound business judgment and quantitative analytics.
- Ability to communicate complex issues and influence others internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Public Policy or related discipline or equivalent experience.
- JD, Master’s, or other advanced degree preferred
Licenses & Certifications:
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Cascade and translate strategies into action plans.
- Communicate goals and priorities (company, department, team); ensure line of sight
- Drive accountability/monitor progress
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Role model honesty and integrity in all communication and actions
- Balance “getting results” with concern for individual needs
- Have honest dialogue with employees; get to know them
- Track commitments and follow-up
Manage and Develop People
- Create individual development plans with direct reports
- Set realistic performance objectives
- Give ongoing, honest feedback; coach for success
- Differentiate performance and provide rewards and recognition
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Surface and address competing goals
- Encourage cooperation/remove obstacles between functions
- Conduct teambuilding/development processes
- Encourage collaboration
- Guide team in translating organizational goals into day-to-day work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Involve employees/seek input in decision making, on continuous improvement ideas and change
- Diversify staff in hiring and promotions
- Seek opportunities to utilize diverse suppliers
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to successfully develop and implement changes in strategy, priorities and work processes
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Act optimistically to influence others to embrace change
Focus on the Customer
- Ensure that we have processes in place to deliver on our customer promise and provide superior customer service
- Be a role model for the business on delivering superior customer service
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs