Avangrid Senior Solar Project Engineer in Austin, Texas
Senior Solar Project Engineer
Company: AVANGRID RENEWABLES, LLC
Austin, TX, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $40 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
The Senior Solar Electrical Engineer is responsible for managing the electrical engineering scope and supporting construction and commissioning activities for a selection of utility-scale onshore wind, solar, and battery storage projects. Working closely with the project team and project manager, this person will coordinate requirements and deliverables with multiple internal and external stakeholders. In addition to strong conceptual and practical renewables electrical engineering knowledge and experience, the successful candidate will have a proven track-record of initiative and effective problem-solving.
- Solar and/or BESS experience is strongly preferred
• Lead and/or support the electrical engineering scopes, which may include geotechnical engineering, collector substation and interconnect station physical arrangements, controls and protection, overhead and underground electrical lines (medium voltage to high voltage) and communications systems.
• Lead engineering implementation, including cost estimating, project scheduling, permit integration into project plans, engineering document control, and other activities necessary during project engineering and construction.
• Review and approval of electrical engineering work; coordinates the multidisciplinary (engineering, land, permitting, development, etc.) review of detailed project drawing submittals.
• Create energization and commissioning plans, manage project energizations, select and manage contractors executing energization and commissioning plans, review and manage lockout-tagout (LOTO) program during energization and commissioning.
• Oversee quality aspects of engineering and construction, including ensuring compliance with design standards and accuracy of final documentation and test data.
• Develop alternate methods or design concepts to resolve problems or to improve project competitiveness.
• Lead the procurement process for external engineering resources and major electrical equipment (transformers, switchgear, breakers, etc).
• Support the development of EPC contractor bid packages and evaluate bids as part of the procurement process for electrical construction services.
• Maintain/update Avangrid electrical design standards.
• Advise the Development Engineering team in project development, planning and design with the Environmental & Permitting, Meteorology, Property, and Transmission Interconnect teams.
• Manage and provide oversight of external professionals who provide technical expertise and project support through development, design, construction, and operations.
• Coordinate and maintain project documentation for due diligence review by an independent engineering firm.
• Provide technical support to plant operations as may be required for project infrastructure, facilities, and systems.
• Serves as a role model and mentor to other engineers.
• Represent Avangrid in relevant industry meetings/conferences, committees, associations, and/or working groups.
Be a role model
Collaborate and Share
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Focus to achieve results
Skills and Requirements
• 5+ years of relevant experience
• Experience leading renewable energy projects
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent education; preference may be giving to candidates with relevant advanced degree(s)
• Professional Engineer (PE) registration and applicable field experience strongly preferred
Knowledge & Skills
• Knowledge of various aspects of renewable projects such as turbine specifications, GSU design and selection, solar module and inverter selection, battery systems, and collector system, overhead collection, transmission, and substation designs.
• Working knowledge of consulting services and EPC construction contracts.
• Ability to understand renewable energy projects technical documentation such as interconnection agreements, facilities studies, permitting documents, local codes and regulations, civil and electrical construction specifications, and reliability standards and requirements (e.g. NEC, NERC, FERC, etc).
• Expertise with electrical system modeling and proficiency in project modeling software such as PSSE, PSLF, PSCAD, ETAP and EasyPower
• Influencing and communication skills to articulate highly technical concepts.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Primavera, OPC, Visio, and AutoCad
Exemplify core behaviors to support Avangrid’s purpose & values: Develop self & others, Empower to grow, Collaborate & share, Be a role model, Focus to achieve results, Be agile.
Our Selection Process
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org