Austin Energy IT Systems Consultant (Outage Management) in Austin, Texas
Posting Title IT Systems Consultant (Outage Management)
Job Requisition Number AE503454
Position Number 100186
Job Type Full-Time
Division Name Information Technology
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus four (4) years of related experience in a focused technology.
Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years.
Master’s Degree in a related field may substitute for two (2) years of experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The role of this position is to provide lifecycle management and 24×7×365 support of highly complex, high available, enterprise-wide applications and customer-facing applications and integrations; to apply expert skills and knowledge of relevant/related technologies and business operations; and to contribute to projects and ongoing operations.
WHEN COMPLETING THE CITY OF AUSTIN APPLICATION :
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history. A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Describe your specific experience for each position. Include all job duties, responsibilities, and employment dates.
Resumes will not be accepted. Statements such as “see resume” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application. Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes.
The responses to the supplemental questions must reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information.
We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for top candidate(s).
If you have any questions regarding your City of Austin employment application, please use the official website of the City of Austin as reference. www.austintexas.gov
VETERAN INTERVIEW PREFERENCE :
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 verifying honorable discharge, at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECK :
This position requires a criminal background investigation.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT :
This position is classified as EXEMPT and may require to work additional hours outside of the normal schedule to include nights, weekends, and /or holidays.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, (https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Employment/new_hire_driver_safety_standards.pdf) you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
HYBRID TELEWORK SCHEDULE :
Effective November 17, 2023 – IT positions are eligible for an 80-100% telework schedule subject to the business needs of the department.
Monday through Friday (40-hour work week with schedule flexibility) supporting 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. activity.
May work evenings, weekends or holidays. Schedule may change based on business need.
Job Close Date 12/15/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Austin, TX 78723 – Hybrid (see Notes to Applicants)
Experience with lifecycle management of highly integrated 24×7×365 critical enterprise applications and customer-facing technologies.
Experience with internal and customer-facing enterprise-level technologies; on-premise and cloud/hosted solutions.
Demonstrated understanding of enterprise technology stacks and the ability to interpret and explain high level architecture diagrams to all levels of the organization.
Experience documenting and communicating technologies, processes, and procedures (and demonstrating compliance therewith) including access management, vulnerability management, risk assessment, incident response, business continuity, and disaster recover.
Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Implement and integrate highly complex business systems including the design and architecture of system interfaces, configuration management, documentation, administration, monitoring, troubleshooting and maintain detailed plans for systems disaster recovery and testing
Plan and forecast budget needs for new hardware and software including the retirement of existing systems
Make independent decisions with significant impact for procurement of technical solutions in their focus area
Test, install and/or upgrade, and implement new software and/or hardware and releases
Develop and/or implement and ensure the compliance of IT policies, standards and procedures
Provide solution based cost analysis
Consult on projects or lead project management of enterprise storage, systems implementations and development
Assist project teams in planning, designing, evaluating, procuring and delivering software and/or hardware purchases ensuring specification compliance
Communicate and make presentations to the City’s technical departmental representatives and department business managers
Research and analyze the technology market and vendor products to determine the strategy that best meet the IT business needs.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge, at an expert level, in storage, email systems, directory services, and/or virtual systems
Knowledge of application and operating systems
Knowledge of industry and department best practices, requirements and policies and procedures
Knowledge of system capacity planning
Skill in mentoring and monitoring daily work activities of others
Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures
Skill in documenting and maintaining complex application and process or configuration information
Skill in installing and maintaining applications, operating systems, or equipment
Skill in providing day-to-day system/application administration in support in a variety of work environments
Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and take appropriate actions and/or steps to address identified needs
Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals
Ability to gain and maintain the trust and confidence of others and the organization through consistency and reliability
Ability to give, receive, or share thoughts, ideas, perspective, and data to create shared understanding
Ability to inspire, motivate, and influence others to achieve individual and collective goals
Ability to make sound decisions in a timely manner that solve issues and stand the test of time
Ability to recognize, plan, focus upon, and work toward what is most important or critical
Ability to recognize strengths and areas for improvement in others and to provide opportunities, guidance, and encouragement to build skills and capacity
Ability to recognize, manage, and resolve conflict efficiently and equitably
Skill in facilitating meetings of diverse stakeholders
Ability to see a broad view of an issue or challenge across typical organizational lines and beyond the present
Ability to create, convey, and instill a unified vision and purpose
Ability to see past the moment and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
Ability to achieve organizational goals and objectives
Ability to navigate relationships involving complex, emotional, and/or value-based issues in order to influence and achieve positive results
Ability to define, analyze, and find solutions for difficult or complex problems
Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new concepts
Ability to view the big picture
Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies
Ability to identify trends as well as isolated events.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- The minimum qualifications for the IT Systems Consultant position are: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus four (4) years of related experience in a focused technology. Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years. Master's Degree in a related field may substitute for two (2) years of experience. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
- Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications referenced above. Detail how you meet the educational requirements (if applicable), account for the years of related experience (if applicable), and explain any substitutions of experience for education, or vice-versa (if applicable).
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe your experience with lifecycle management of highly integrated 24x7x365 critical enterprise applications and customer-facing technologies, including but not limited to utility contact center customer interactions solutions, utility outage management solutions, and GIS technologies. Include the years of experience, the role you held, and place of employment.
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe your experience with internal and customer-facing enterprise-level technologies; on-premise and cloud/hosted solutions; including RFP preparation/review, requirements documentation, development/configuration, testing, deployment/implementation, troubleshooting/debugging, optimization/enhancements, upgrade/replacement, and legacy-system retirement. Include the years of experience, the role you held, and place of employment.
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe your experience with enterprise technology stacks, including physical and virtual infrastructure/networking, platforms, storage, server, software, databases, ESB, and secure integration practices and technologies. Include your experience interpreting and explaining high level architecture diagrams to multiple levels of the organization. Include the years of experience, the role you held, and place of employment.
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe your experience providing exceptional customer service by delivering audience-specific communications/presentation skills (verbal/written; technical/business). Include the years of experience, the role you held, and place of employment.
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe your experience documenting and communicating technologies, processes, and procedures. Include access management, vulnerability management, risk assessment, incident response, business continuity, and disaster recovery. Include the years of experience, the role you held, and place of employment.
(Open Ended Question)
- This position requires a criminal background investigation (CBI). By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Investigation.
- Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
Optional & Required Documents
Contact City of Austin Employment Services
Privacy Notice (https://www.austintexas.gov/page/privacy-policy)