Austin Energy Electrical System Controller in Austin, Texas
Posting Title Electrical System Controller
Job Requisition Number AE503021
Position Number 109553
Job Type Full-Time
Division Name Electric System - ETS
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus two (2) years experience in a field related to performing electric generation, distribution, substation, construction tasks.
Associates Degree focused on GIS , Power, and Computer Technology or other related field may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Must obtain NERC Operator’s certification within two years.
Notes to Applicants
The position is critical to the utility and will perform tasks in electric system control and switching by monitoring the electric utility grid, dispatch field crews, perform switching and resolve customer outages.
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
Resumes will not be accepted and statements such as “see resume” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate, and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
This position requires a criminal background investigation.
Work hours may include after-hours, holidays, and weekends.
Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
Employees may be required to work additional hours outside of their regular work schedule.
- If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program (http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Employment/new_hire_driver_safety_standards.pdf) , you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Must have the ability to read, write, and speak English.
$38.78 – $50.42
12 hour Rotating shift nights, weekends and holidays.
Job Close Date 02/28/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 2500 Montopolis Drive (SCC), Austin, TX
Knowledge of Electric Utility Transmission and Distribution system
Knowledge of NERC reliability standards
NERC Transmission Operator’s or Reliability Coordinators certification
Distribution, Transmission, Reliability Coordinator or Generation control room experience.
Computer Skills ( Microsoft Office Suite) Word, Excel, Outlook
Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Dispatch service and trouble calls to field service personnel by monitoring the electric utility grid, troubleshoot and provide solutions to problems in electric transmission and distribution system.
Analyze data to discover patterns and or discrepancies and determine appropriate action
Responsible for monitoring instrumentation control panels, operate substation switching equipment by remote control, operate computerized electric control system, monitor weather conditions for system operation needs, operate radio and pager systems for communication with work crew to resolve outages.
Respond to customer complaints of a moderate nature by troubleshooting outages and determining if dispatch of crew is required. Answer citizen questions about electrical service
Record data on appropriate form and/or log for tracking of crew and work assignments and electric utility grid systems monitoring. Provide calculations for reports.
Discuss simple division/section operations with others.
Read maps and schematics to determine minor system problems. Resolve routine problems in generation dispatch.
Coordinate routine division/section activities with other divisions/sections/utilities.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of equipment and methods used in construction and maintenance of high voltage electric utility transmission and distribution systems.
Knowledge of proper safety practices, procedures and regulations applicable to work being performed.
Knowledge of modern electronic equipment for controls on boilers, turbines and generating systems.
Knowledge of meters relays transformers and other equipment used in receiving and delivering electrical power.
Knowledge of switching equipment procedures and regulations governing its operation.
Knowledge of electric utility system restoration procedures.
Knowledge of procedures and methods used in energy control center operations.
Knowledge of City overhead and underground power transmission and distribution systems, inter-ties and critical areas.
Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
Skill in the use of equipment required to control generation levels.
Skill in reading instruments, charts and schematic drawings.
Skill in preparing clear and concise written reports.
Skill in effective oral and/or written communication.
Skill in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Skill in directing others in procedures designed to correct outages or safely reroute power.
Skill in operating various control systems to affect necessary switching and routing of electricity.
Skill in maintaining and analyzing records.
Skill in solving generation transmission and distribution problems.
Ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
Ability of conflict resolution.
Ability to work 12 hour shifts.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- The minimum qualifications for the Electrical System Controller requires graduation from high school or equivalent, plus two (2) years’ experience in a field related to performing electric generation, distribution, substation, construction tasks. Associates Degree focused on GIS, Power, and Computer Technology or other related field may substitute for one (1) year of experience. Licenses and Certifications required: Must obtain NERC Operator’s certification within two years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications?
- Describe your knowledge and experience working with electric control room operations, what was your role and write your total number of years and where you have this experience. (Please ensure this information is listed in your work experience on your application, if it is not listed, your application may be considered incomplete).
(Open Ended Question)
- Select the skill level that best describes your computer proficiency.
Basic: Create simple documents and retrieve my emails
Intermediate: Create/edit documents and spreadsheets to retrieve, edit and reformat document features such as color, font style and size of text, change page size/width, & filter/sort data fields
Advanced: Create/edit complex documents & spreadsheets; integrate features such as tables, charts, mathematic formulas, hyperlinks, graphics; import data from one document to another, etc.
No computer skills
- This position requires working irregular schedules and is subject to mandatory, on-call and call back duties for evenings, weekends, and holidays. Are you willing and available to work any hours/days as necessary?
- This position requires12 hour rotating shifts, day and night shifts, and weekends. Are you available to work these hours?
- This position is classified as an "essential" position, meaning you will be required to work during holidays and bad weather (ice storms, flooding, etc.) when the City is otherwise closed. Will you be able to work this kind of schedule?
- If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
Optional & Required Documents
Contact City of Austin Employment Services