Avangrid Principal Engineer - Electrical in Augusta, Maine
Principal Engineer - Electrical
Company: CENTRAL MAINE POWER CO
Augusta, ME, US US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
Responsible for Substation designs for major capital projects in both Maine (Central Maine Power and Maine Electric Power Company), Connecticut (UIL) and New York (NYSEG and RG&E), this includes input into standards and training needs.
The electric delivery system in Maine contains approximately 2,600 miles of transmission lines & 317 substations. The electric delivery system in New York contains approximately 5,600 miles of transmission lines & 621 substations. The electric delivery system in Connecticut contains approximately 130 miles of transmission lines and 28 bulk electric supply substations.
Position reports to the Substation Projects Sr. Director, but the position will work day-to-day in cross functional project team and support project needs as dictated by the SS Sr. Director or SS Managers.
• Capital project engineering performance including all phases such as: scoping and budgeting, conceptual engineering, contract management and design, engineering design, construction, and closeout.
• Perform standard and complex electrical engineering analyses, designs and calculations using standard methodology and principles and other viable approaches. Develop alternate methods or design concepts to resolve problems or to improve processes/services.
• Responsible for leading and creating new conceptual designs and overseeing the work of external detailed designers ensuring consistency among all the operating companies.
• Act as a liaison with other stakeholders (Operations, Process and Technology...), representing the Substations group.
• Solve unique and complex electrical engineering problems. Analyzes possible solutions and assesses each using standard procedures related to substations and power engineering.
• Ensure all engineering designs implemented by the company meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes, and standards.
• Support technical requests from current and proposed customers.
• Utilize knowledge to influence and guide department engineers.
• Provide technical leadership in most complex projects that have a wide impact on the business.
• Mentor, develop, and support team in technical skills SME for team.
• Liaison/ direct contractors on company policy, standards, and best practices.
• Work independently with little supervision.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering required
• Master’s Degree Preferred
• +10 years minimum relevant experience
• Professional Engineering License preferred.
• Knowledge of the regulatory environment including relevant output and incentive mechanisms
• Where appropriate, technical, and operational experience in a relevant engineering role within a utility environment
• Where required, knowledge of:
o Construction and maintenance standards in accordance with regulatory requirements
o Electrical, Civil or P&C Engineering standards and specifications up to 345kV
• Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills to decipher unique technical and analytical problems
• Proven ability to lead and manage projects
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills to articulate highly technical concepts
• Strong management and leadership skills, ability to drive change and adoption of new technologies
• General contract, commercial and regulatory awareness with the ability to balance effective and efficient customer service and project delivery, ensuring maximum return on investment
• Track record of effective stakeholder and customer service engagement and management
• Ability to communicate and present information effectively at all levels
• Ability to manage competing priorities using sound engineering and financial judgment to determine optimal solutions
• Awareness and understanding of key business drivers
• Ability to devise solutions to both to common and complex problems/challenges
Routine Technical Skills:
• Physical Substation Design – Expert
• Project Scoping and Estimating - Expert
• Equipment Specifications - Expert
• Construction and Outage Sequencing - Expert
• Commissioning - Expert
• Codes, Standards, and Regulations - Expert
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com