Natural Rural Electric Cooperative Vice President, Legislative Affairs in Arlington, Virginia
Responsible for leading and directing NRECA’s Legislative Affairs programs, which advocate for electric cooperatives interests before the U.S. Congress. This role develops and implements the Association’s legislative advocacy strategy by leading a team of professional lobbyists focused on achieving positive public policy outcomes. In addition, this role provides management for all aspects of NRECA’s Congressional advocacy to include: unit operations; strategic planning; and tactical execution of advocacy efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops and guides the strategic direction of the legislative advocacy programs on behalf of America’s electric cooperatives.
• Provides leadership, coaching and management of the Legislative Affairs unit.
• Ensures alignment of legislative affairs program with NRECA advocacy priorities and strategic plans.
• Serves as a senior legislative advocate, representing the interests of America’s electric cooperatives before Congress
• Assesses and prioritizes competing legislative priorities.
• Monitors existing and emerging legislative, policy and political matters and their potential impact on electric cooperatives.
• Coordinates the strategic deployment of NRECA’s advocacy tools to positively impact legislative outcomes.
• Engages with NRECA’s members about legislative activities. Closely coordinates with lobbyists and executives from Statewide Associations and member cooperatives on legislative activity.
• Works collaboratively with the Legislative Affairs team, other NRECA staff and NRECA member cooperatives in the development of strategies and tactics to favorably impact legislative outcomes.
• Ensures close coordination and cooperation between the Legislative Affairs unit and other Government Affairs functions, as well other NRECA departments, notably: regulatory team, grassroots, ACRE® (NRECA’s Political Action Committee), communications, and BTS
• In coordination and collaboration with the SVP, Government Affairs, work to shape the success of NRECA’s Issue Management Teams
• Builds coalitions with other organizations and external stakeholders to leverage the Association’s capabilities and positively impact legislative outcomes.
• Manages the Legislative Affairs budget.
• Encourages the Legislative Affairs team to focus on service excellence.
Direct Reports to this Position:
Sr Legislative Affairs Director (1)Executive Assistant (1)
Legislative Affairs Director (8)