National Grid Consultant, Customer Energy Integration in Albany, New York
National Grid is hiring a Consultant for our Customer Energy Integration department in Albany, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
National Grid is looking for a customer-facing professional who will own and manage the relationship with complex distributed generation applicants throughout the company’s E2E interconnection process. Successful candidates will have strong technical and project management skills, enabling customer sponsored DG projects to be interconnected cost effectively, within state regulated timelines, while achieving high customer satisfaction. The professional will act as the customer’s primary point of contact guiding them through regulatory, legislative and technical obligations, obtaining and interpreting technical documentation, performing preliminary screenings/feasibility reviews as necessary, drafting contractual agreements, and coordinating complex DG projects with multitude of internal and external stakeholders throughout the construction process. As a DG subject matter expert, the candidate will also be expected to provide outreach and educate others on DG initiatives. This position may also get involved in the preliminary (Step 0) stages of large complex electric projects in assisting customers with evaluating the feasibility of such projects.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
• Manage DG projects with customers, external vendors, contractors and consultants to ensure timely delivery of utility services and completion of the project.
• Conduct engineering screenings/feasibility reviews, maintain work management system and update procedures to support the design solutions that enhance Distributed Generation programs.
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with network strategy, account development, inside and outsides sales, regulatory, energy product & program management, jurisdictional teams and external vendors in order to facilitate communications, integrate work and ensure the successful delivery of company’s products and programs.
• Challenge existing policies and procedures to continuously seek ways to enhance customer service and cost-effectiveness.
• Coordinate internal and external resources assigned to perform comprehensive engineering studies (i.e. Impact, CESIR, etc), commissioning analysis and reports in order to ensure timely delivery of DG projects per applicable jurisdictional tariffs.
• Provide technical guidance, support and coaching to others, (both internally and externally) in order to share knowledge and increase understanding of Distributed Generation programs and services.
• Analyze and evaluate developments in Distributed Generation and Renewable Energy technologies in order to identify impact of different scenarios on the business and strategies for integrating cost efficiencies.
• Ensure projects are following appropriate accounting procedures.
• Negotiate, develop and administer all aspects of interconnection related agreements.
• Provide energy efficiency and growth leads to the sales organization as applicable.
• Update and maintain company websites with latest program information.
• Represent National Grid as needed in various industry associations
• Minimum of Associates degree in mechanical / electrical / chemical engineering, project management or other related field. Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred with minimum 1-3+ years of work experience (for entry level position). Master’s degree, PE, DGCP and/or PMP certification desired.
• Demonstrated project management skills
• Ability to develop proficiency with NY, MA, RI and NH tariffs, especially as they relate to Distributed Generation
• Demonstrated superior customer service and analytical skills
• Demonstrates the ability to interpret information and analyze relationships among several parts of a problem or situation in order to clearly articulate the findings and anticipates obstacles and thinks ahead about next steps.
• Understands and identifies training or developmental needs of others and has the ability to design and establish new programs of work to support them.
• Support and be part of a team environment.
• Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills including human resource management, negotiations and communications. Let’s people affected by a decision know what’s happening and is able to clearly articulate reasons for a decision.
• Understands theory behind policies and processes and demonstrates the ability to challenge existing processes and ways of working e.g. taking action to avoid future crisis or create opportunities to improve existing practices.
• Excellent organizational, data management and computer skills
• Prior work experience in reviewing and discussing CHP/DG feasibility reviews, system impact studies and working successfully with consulting engineers and contractors preferred.
• Understands the importance of procedures and standards of working and demonstrates the ability to give directions or demonstrations with clear reasons and rationales.
• Be a coordinator for technical DG items that may arise with the National Grid customer base.
• Good knowledge of DG system design practices and installation standards.
• Familiarity with power system components, engineering concepts, project management and interconnections.
• Experience with renewable energies and utility industry a major plus.
• Demonstrated project management skills
• Knowledge or willing to understand various regulatory policies and interconnection related standards.
• Able to read schematics, one-lines and recommend/oversee changes to documentation.
• Working knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS) or ability to be trained.
• Proficient in using Microsoft Office software products.
• Experience with utility electric and gas construction a plus.
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to represent the company in meeting and seminars, present material as needed
Valid driver’s license required.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.