FirstEnergy Corp. IT Software Development Intern-Summer 2021 in Akron, Ohio
IT Software Development Intern-Summer 2021
Akron, OH, US, 44320
Job Function: Information Technology
Employee Type: Student Full Time
Requisition ID: 31426
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Company a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00].
As a participant in the Co-op/Intern Professional Development Program, you will be cultivating professional skills and perform professional level work at FirstEnergy. Each participant will receive on-the-job training, and challenging assignments to refine skills and round out competencies.
As an IT Software Development intern at FirstEnergy, you will have hands on experience with the technology used to support our business units at FirstEnergy. You will be given challenging assignments that will have a direct impact on the team’s and business’ success.
Please include your Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date on your resume. Resumes that do not include Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date will not be considered.
We encourage you to include on your resume courses completed relevant to the position you're applying. Additionally, tell us about school projects where you utilized the skills needed for the position in which you are applying. Technology enthusiasts: be sure to describe your tech hobbies and use of technology outside of the classroom on your resume.
The tools, databases and technologies supported by Software Development interns vary across teams. The following are some of possible technologies and roles an intern could have as an IT Software Developer at FirstEnergy:
• Working with the following technologies: Microsoft .NET, Java, C#, HTML, XML, SQL, Oracle, ABAP, UNIX Shell Scripting, and QlikView.
• Working on a team that develops and supports custom built applications leveraged by various business units.
• Accessing data structures like Oracle or SQL Server through the use of SQL
• Learning and customizing the interface or data structures of our SAP system.
• Assist with SAP security and release management activities
• Completing process, integration and stress testing for application projects or upgrades
• Working on our internal/external websites, developing applications with responsive design and mobile technologies
• Learn the tools, databases, and technologies needed to report on large volumes of data
All IT programming and development interns will have the opportunity to:
Work closely with IT developers, IT business analysts, FirstEnergy business employees to deliver IT solutions which help achieve business goals
Receive the training in the skill sets needed to meet individualized objectives and development needs
• Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program at an accredited university/college with a major in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Technology, Information Science or related major
• Graduation date not early than May 2022 ( Graduation date MUST be listed on resume)
• Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (GPA MUST be listed on resume)
• Basic computer programming skills, as well as completed coursework in one or more robust coding languages (i.e., Java, Microsoft .NET, C++, C#)
• Interest and aptitude in software development
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively and learn quickly.
• Must be organized and work well with constant priority changes
• Proven team player, contributes to team goals, encourages, and supports team members
• Strong attention to detail
• Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects.
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively, with an aptitude to learn quickly.
• Organizational skills to prioritize and plan work, multi-task and meet schedules.
• Ability to work remotely, utilizing virtual technologies
• Sound understanding of Microsoft Office line of products, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively participate on a team and in remote meetings and conference calls
• Declaration of a software development-related track within one of the academic programs listed above highly preferred
• Familiarity with the use of common code and re-usability concepts
• Knowledge of principles surrounding web-based technology and user interfaces
• Basic understanding of the software development life cycle from requirements gathering to implementation
• Knowledge of database management systems and SQL
• General awareness of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software concepts (ex. SAP)
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Job Segment: Developer, ERP, Database, SAP, Intern, Technology, Entry Level