FirstEnergy Corp. IT Network Intern-Summer 2021 in Akron, Ohio
IT Network Intern-Summer 2021
Akron, OH, US, 44320
Job Function: Information Technology
Employee Type: Student Full Time
Requisition ID: 31411
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Company a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp [SC00].
As a participant in the Co-op/Intern Professional Development Program, you will be cultivating professional skills and perform professional level work at FirstEnergy. Each participant will receive on-the-job training, and challenging assignments to refine skills and round out competencies.
Network Interns in the Network Engineering & Operations department will work closely with FirstEnergy’s network teams and business units to deliver data networking, transport, and communications solutions for business and operational purposes that help achieve FE’s business goals.
Candidates will provide support for the architecture, engineering, design, implementation, operation, maintenance, regulatory compliance, and ongoing reliability of Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Field Area Network (FAN), and other wired and wireless systems that comprise the FE communications architecture.
Please include your Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date on your resume. Resumes that do not include Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date will not be considered.
We encourage you to include on your resume courses completed relevant to the position you're applying. Additionally, tell us about school projects where you utilized the skills needed for the position in which you are applying. Technology enthusiasts: be sure to describe your tech hobbies and use of technology outside of the classroom on your resume.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to,
• Participation on one of the network teams supporting the many technology platforms delivering voice, video, data, electrical network monitoring & control, and computing services to FE employees, contractors, and business partners
• Ensuring high level of reliability and availability of these systems
• Working across FirstEnergy to ensure that communications solutions meet business needs and objectives.
• Confirming that all procedures are followed properly (e.g. change management, testing, documentation, etc.)
• Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program at an accredited university/college focusing on Computer Networking, Electrical Engineering, Electrical or Electronics Engineering Technology, Telecommunications, or related field
• Graduation date no earlier than May 2023 (Graduation date MUST be listed on resume)
• Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 . (GPA MUST be listed on resume)
• General understanding, planned or completed coursework and interest in LAN/WAN topology (routers, switches, Ethernet, wireless, firewalls, etc.), including diagnostic procedures and tools
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively and learn quickly
• Must be organized and work well with constant priority changes
• Proven team player, contributes to team goals, encourages, and supports team members
• Strong attention to detail
• Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively, with an aptitude to learn quickly
• Organizational skills to prioritize and plan work, multi-task and meet schedules
• Ability to work remotely, utilizing virtual technologies
• Sound understanding of Microsoft Office line of products, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively participate on a team and in remote meetings and conference calls
• Background and experience with personal computer hardware, operating systems and application software
• Wireless transport hardware and systems such as digital microwave, radio, WiMax, CDMA, etc.
• Network routing & switching hardware and systems
• Network design, engineering, and drawing management tools
• TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Internet, firewalls, security, and Internet tools
• Environmental support systems for the technology platforms (e.g., HVAC, AC/DC power systems, batteries, generators, etc.)
• Project management concepts and tools
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Job Segment: Network, Telecom, Telecommunications, Intern, Electrical, Technology, Entry Level, Engineering