FirstEnergy Corp. IT Application Configuration Intern-Summer 2021 in Akron, Ohio
IT Application Configuration Intern-Summer 2021
Akron, OH, US, 44320
Job Function: Information Technology
Employee Type: Student Full Time
Requisition ID: 31444
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Company a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp [SC00].
About the Opportunity
As a participant in the Co-op/Intern Professional Development Program, you will be cultivating professional skills and perform professional level work at FirstEnergy. Each participant will receive on-the-job training, and challenging assignments to refine skills and round out competencies.
The Application Configuration Analyst is critical to the successful use of the technology and software systems used by FirstEnergy. The analyst in this critical role must configure, fully utilize and secure applications and understand how the FirstEnergy interface with other applications. In addition, they provide operational to keep the system up and running. An Application Configuration Analyst has a passion for technology and enjoys the challenge of digging in to determine how systems work and troubleshoot any issues. The Application Configuration Analyst also learns the complex business processes of the systems they support. They have great communication skills allowing collaboration between IT and the business unitl utlizing the appication. .
Please include your Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date on your resume. Resumes that do not include Major/Minor/Degree, GPA and anticipated graduation date will not be considered.
We encourage you to include on your resume courses completed relevant to the position you're applying. Additionally, tell us about school projects where you utilized the skills needed for the position in which you are applying. Technology enthusiasts: be sure to describe your tech hobbies and use of technology outside of the classroom on your resume.
Examples of possible job duties and responsibilities:
• Supporting the application architecture
• Ensuring that the application server processes continue to run and operate in the most efficient manner possible
• Properly control and maintain security of the application according to FE standards
• Understand system interface design & data flows to support complex inbound and outbound interfaces (both internal & external)
• Perform software installation and patching, as needed, based on application roadmaps and issue resolution
• Collaborate with software vendors on issue identification/resolution, installation, and patching
• Identify opportunities to automate processes required to maintain platform performance and availability
• Develop and enhance scripts to support production processes and operations
• Troubleshoot applications and systems for root-cause analysis
• Supporting and improving business processes
• Create and maintain system documentation and procedures to ensure governance and standards
• Be an active participant in a collaborative work environment gathering requirements from business stakeholders
• Analyzing requirements, documentation, use cases and workflow
• Consulting with business partners in order to refine requirements and explain tradeoffs between usability and performance
• Assist in defect resolution during testing of applications
• Provide insight into application data
• Develop data queries and reporting solutions to meet customer requirements
• Understand the structure and design of the application’s database
• Provide data analysis and reports based on the needs of the business users
• Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program at an accredited university/college with a major in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or technology equivalent degree.
• Must have a graduation date no earlier than May 2023 (Graduation date MUST be listed on resume)
• Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. (GPA date MUST be listed on resume)
• Must have the ability to work without sponsorship (now or in the future)
• Analytical skills to resolve problems and think creatively
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively and learn quickly
• Must be organized and work well with constant priority changes
• Proven team player, contributes to team goals, encourages, and supports team members
• Strong attention to detail
• Willingness to undertake assignments involving unfamiliar subjects
• Highly motivated to work independently and productively, with an aptitude to learn quickly
• Organizational skills to prioritize and plan work, multi-task and meet schedules
• Ability to work remotely, utilizing virtual technologies
• Sound understanding of Microsoft Office line of products, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Demonstrate strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to effectively participate on a team and in remote meetings and conference calls
• Familiarity with the following technologies:
-X86 PC or server hardware maintenance
-High Level UNIX/Linux operating system and system administration fundamentals
-Windows Server and Windows PC operating systems
• Experience with any kind of coding or scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python, Java, C, PowerShell, SQL etc.)
• Knowledge of database architecture and design
• Experience with relational databases, including reading and revising data through software applications
• Basic understanding of, or experience with, Structured Query Language (SQL)
• Familiarity with server administration and support
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Job Segment: Intern, Engineer, Consulting, Developer, Computer Science, Entry Level, Engineering, Technology