WEC Energy Group Power Trader in Wisconsin
Job TitlePower Trader
Business UnitWholesale Energy & Fuels
External Job ResponsibilitiesWe Energies is seeking a Power Trader for its downtown Milwaukee location.
The Power Trader is responsible for minimizing the net cost of serving WE, WPS and UMERC retail and wholesale electric load obligations, maximizing the value of WEC Energy Group owned and contracted generator resources, and supporting reliable operations of the bulk electric system.
Essential functions include:
• Continuously evaluate company-owned and contracted generator availability and performance and maintain and update generation resource offers, in order to maximize the value of these assets in the MISO markets.
• Ensure that North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and Reliability First (RFC) reliability requirements are satisfied at all times.
• Dispatch generator resources in real time (24x7) to minimize fuel costs and maintain reliability.
• Use load forecasting applications, weather forecasting services, weather and load history, and experience to forecast system loads.
• Create generator market offers and demand bids using load forecasts, market price forecasts for Day Ahead and Real Time markets, projected generator availability and commitments, projected net position, transmission system topology expectations derived from available information and experience, and in consideration of interrelationships with Financial Transmission Right and generation asset values.
• Evaluate load management programs and load assets and executes strategies which utilize these opportunities in conjunction with generation assets
• Use pricing, operating, and market-driven tactics to create and optimize the net asset portfolio (load assets, generation assets, financial transmission rights, and other financial instruments) of each operating company. requirements.
• Work closely with personnel in Electric System Operations (Local Balancing Authority) to reliably and economically dispatch WEC Energy Group generation.
• Maintain communication and rapport with personnel in Electric System Operations (CSO), power plant personnel, the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (market operator, transmission provider and reliability authority) and the American Transmission Company (transmission owner and operator).
• Dispatch power plant personnel and others as needed.
• Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of MISO market operations and settlement business practices, rules and procedures, and NERC and RFC reliability standards.
The Power Trader typically works a rotating 12 hour shift on the Real Time desk (365 X 24) and from time to time may be assigned to the Forward Operations Planning desk (day shift, 7 days/week).
Education/Experience RequirementsThis position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, Computer Science, or a related field. A significant level (5 years) of experience along with demonstrated knowledge and effectiveness in relevant generation, bulk electric system or wholesale electric market operations may be considered in lieu of the degree requirement. NERC Operator Certification or the ability to obtain certification within six months is required. Must have strong analytical and computer skills (e.g., EMS, Excel, web-based applications). Knowledge of the regional transmission system, LMP markets, and/or regional generation resources is preferred. Significant experience/knowledge of energy trading, financial trading and/or generation systems is desirable. Must enjoy a fast paced, continuously changing work environment and have the ability to deal with stressful situations effectively and make quick decisions, sometimes with limited information.